GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 00:38:54 EDT
Very sad indeed that this is all the EU can say. However, we have to realize
that these guys at home are lying ans misrepresenting what has transpired,
and the news media, at least here in the U.S has not reported much about
this. This is why I think it is imperative that we send information to all
the major news outlets as we send the petition out.I will send out as much as
I can, and please do so any of you if you can.

Jabou Joh

 A shame that this is the best statement that the European Economic Union
could muster.

 LISBON, April 14 (Reuters) - The European Union on Friday called on Gambian
authorities to ensure a fair trial for all those involved in student riots on
Monday that left 12 dead.
 Monday's riots erupted in the West African nation's capital Banjul over the
alleged torture and murder of a school pupil by fire fighters.

 "The EU appeals to authorities in Gambia to use the utmost moderation in
acting to maintain or restore public order, and to observe the need to
respect human rights and the rule of law," said a statement issued in
Portugal, which currently holds the revolving EU presidency >>