GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 22:56:54 EDT
Hello Mr. Camara:

With all due respect, I would like to raise a quiet voice of objection to the
tone of the message you sent.  This message, in my personal opinion, has
dictatorial undertones to it.  The "take it or leave it because I am the
boss" type attitude that seemed to be one of the underlying messages in your
email is what I am talking about.  This has always been the predominant
attitude of Gambian managers.  When one compares this attitude to how bosses
and community leaders interact with their underlings in other countries, we
then begin to get a little insight as to why our countries are so "effed" up.

Essa was a bit quick to pull out his heavy guns when he called F Jahumpa a
bastard child.  The use of swear words is definitely not to be tolerated
anywhere.  However, the drastic measure of completely banning "flaming" is a
dictatorial decree that takes the rules of the Gambia_L too far.  People are
flamed every single day on this list, and, to be honest, they almost always
deserve this treatment. Completely banning certain forms of this tactic would
be taking away from the flavor of our Bantaba, and I surely don't think that
you would want to be remembered for being the manager that banished the most
people from the L.

This message is not meant to undermine your authority in any way whatsoever.
In fact, I have nothing but respect for the list managers and yourself. There
is no doubt in my mind that you are an excellent group of managers. However,
a leader/manager should be extremely judicious in his/her ways.  In other
words, think, think and think again before sending a message like the above
to hundreds of your fellow countrymen, especially when one considers the fact
that Gambians at home are dealing with a dictator.  Interact with us like
equals, and you might be surpassed by the outcome of this strategy.

On a final note, I am certain that this piece of mail might not be looked
upon kindly by many people.  But, hopefully, some will see a germ of truth in
my words.

Have a nice weekend, everyone ! :)