GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2006 19:59:01 EDT
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue  No. 79/2006, 18-19 September, 2006

Editorial

THE DAY OF  RECKONING

22 September 2006 is just round the corner. The series of  battles for the
minds of the masses will soon come to an end. The owners of this  country will
soon decide the fate of this country.
This is why it is clearly  spelt out in section 1 (2) of the Constitution
that “The sovereignty of the  Gambia resides in the people of The Gambia from
whom all organs of government  derive their authority and in whose name and for
whose welfare and prosperity  the powers of government are to be exercised in
accordance with this  constitution.”
One way of deriving authority from the people is through  genuine and
periodic elections.
This is why section 26 of the constitution  makes it a fundamental right for
every citizen to vote and stand for elections  at genuine and periodic
elections.
Such a right may be exercised in many  different ways. The unenlightened
citizen may vote on the basis of ethnic  origin, nepotism, religion, regionalism
or any other sentiment. On the other  hand the enlightened citizen votes on the
basis of selecting the best  representative.
The interesting development in this year’s Presidential  election campaign,
unlike the previous two, is that not much euphoria has  developed from
sentiments. Rather the show of solidarity for all those who wish  to make an informed
choice seems to be growing. Will the people vote on the  basis of sentiments
or informed choice? We will know on  Friday.

SECURITY AGENTS URGED TO KEEP AWAY FROM POLITICS
By Amie  Sanneh

Ousainou Darboe has called on the country’s security agents to  desist from
partaking in politics.
He made this call on Saturday at a rally  held at Kudang. He said service men
and women are expected to put on the Gambian  flag as badges and not the
colour of any political party.
He said the  security agents have sworn to defend the country and abide by
the rule of law,  stating that it is totally unacceptable for them to involve in
politics.
He  added that they are not supposed to involve themselves in politics, but
they can  vote for any party of their choice.
He said that they can only join politics  when they discharge from the
service. Darboe also urged civil servants to act  wisely in politics noting that
governments come and go but civil servants  stay.

“NADD ACCEPTED COUNTRY WIDE,”
SAYS HALIFA
By Fabakary  B. Ceesay

Halifa Sallah, the flag bearer of the National Alliance for  Democracy and
Development (NADD) has said that NADD has been accepted in all the  regions, all
ethnic groups, and both men and women of the population, throughout  the
country.
Honorable Sallah made these remarks in Brikama in an interview  with
reporters, as he was welcomed by thousands of his party supporters, amid  singing
drumming and dancing, following a successful tour of the country for ten  (10)
days. Mr. Sallah indicated that NADD’s message was accepted by the youth  and
women populations of the country, who intend to change the destiny of this
country for good. “There is no doubt that they constitute the majority of this
country,” Mr. Sallah said. He pointed out that NADD has a strong foundation and
a strong message for change. He noted that they have been telling the
electorate  that NADD has a five-year programme and shall transform the country
democratically and establish democratic institutions that respect fundamental
rights and freedoms.
According to Mr. Sallah, they also informed the people  that NADD’s programme
intends to create a foundation where the flag bearer will  not stand for
another election after the five years. Halifa narrated that the  real advantage
for the country with a NADD government is the constitution will  be reformed to
empower the people and ensure legal reform by opening up the  media for civic
education so that The Gambian people can really value their  citizenship and
ensure financial discipline. “The people have accepted this  foundation and we
believe that the country needs this programme,” he said.
The NADD flag bearer concluded that NADD has been accepted and received
everywhere and that people are cross-carpeting from Jammeh’s side to support
NADD. “We have a stronger foundation among the people than any other party in
this country at the moment,” Mr. Sallah concluded.

PRESS  STATEMENT
BY OMAR JALLOW OF NADD

As we count down to the general  election in a few days time, I like to first
of all reiterate my last press  statement of Friday 1st September in which I
pledged my continuing and resolute  support to the National Alliance for
Democracy and Development (NADD), its  principles and its objectives. I continue to
subscribe to the rainson d’etre for  the creation of NADD and I strongly
believe that it remains the only credible  force in Gambia’s current political
landscape that can deliver our country from  its present predicaments.
I also like to once again declare my unwavering  support for the presidential
candidate for NADD, Hon. Halifa Sallah, the  Chairman of the Alliance,
Landing Jallow Sonko and each and every member of his  most able executive
committee, the Youth Militant Forum, the women’s wing of the  Alliance and the entire
membership who have all worked tirelessly over the years  to build a very
progressive modern organization.
Personally, I am very proud  to be part of this very forward-looking
institution and I am truly honored to  have contributed to its many successes so far.
NADD represents the future in  Gambian politics and I urge every Gambian voter
to cast their vote in support of  the National Alliance for Democracy and
Development (NADD), in the forthcoming  presidential election; because a vote for
NADD is a vote for integrity,  progressive leadership and genuine democratic
values.
I was elected to the  executive committee of NADD at its inception and I
remain a member of the same  executive committee. Unfortunately as some of you may
have learnt, I recently  had to be admitted to the Westfield Clinic in The
Gambia following a rapid  deterioration of my health. I was subsequently flown
to London on the advice of  doctors who treated me at the Westfield Clinic in
The Gambia, my family, friends  and colleagues; after medical prognosis raised
some concerns for my long term  health and wellbeing. Consequently, my
contribution to the current campaigning  is restricted by distance and what my
recovering health  permits.
Notwithstanding, the distance, I am in constant and daily touch with  my
colleagues on the campaign trail and I am abreast of every development as it
happens from my health retreat here in the UK. I continue to rally our support
base by telephoning voters and local leaders in the various constituencies,
right across the country.
Those who follow my political activities and  education since the military
coup of 1994 would by now have been convinced of my  single minded determination
to challenge this government’s shameful record on  governance and human
rights, and my unshakable motivation to speak out against  an established culture
of impunity; an endemic corruption within the despotic  AFPRC/APRC government.
I will continue to challenge, condemn and, where  necessary, speak out against
the government of the day, whenever they violate  out collective or
individual human rights, ignore or defy the national  constitution and commit acts of
violence and treachery against The Gambian  people.
Between 1994 to date, Gambians have witnessed the 20 separate  incidents of
my illegal incarceration, by the AFPRC/APRC government, sometimes  along with
my colleagues, most times alone. During these frequent prison spells  I have
been tortured and my human rights violated. Members of my family and my  friends
continue to be victims of constant harassment and victimization in the  hands
of this government.
Incidentally, I have also since 1994 been  approached on several occasions
with monetary inducements and the promise of any  government position that takes
my fancy, to join the AFPRC/APRC government. I  refused each and every time.
My motivation for being in politics has never been  for material gains or
position for position sake. I have always nurtured a  genuine desire to do the
right thing on behalf of the people that entrusted me  with their confidence and
mandated me to represent them.
I want to assure my  friends, colleagues and supporters that I remain
committed to the course for the  total emancipation of The Gambian people. I signed
the MOU that established NADD  and I remain steadfast, as a matter of principle
to uphold my signed declaration  of commitment to the organization, but also
because I strongly believe in the  efficacy of the Alliance to promote
democracy the rule of law and economic  progress for all Gambians.
In ending this press release, I also wish to  reassure all concerned
well-wishers; those who visited me at the Westfield  hospital, those who sent envoys
and message of goodwill; supporters of NADD;  everyone who telephoned, emailed
or visited me in the United Kingdom and the  wider community, that I continue
to make gradual but steady progress in my  recovery and the medical outlook is
now very good. I look forward to a time  (very soon), when I will return to
continue the struggle to liberate The Gambia  from the clutches of tyranny and
despotism.
I extend my deepest appreciation  and gratitude to everyone who has supported
me through this trying time and I  remain your dedicated servant in the
public interest.
Should anyone want to  contact me urgently, I can be reached on ++44(0)
7731647980.

FARMERS IN URD CRY FOUL
By Fabakary B.  Ceesay

The farmers URD have strongly attacked the government for its  failure to
purchase their groundnuts. They described this year’s season as the  worst they
have ever encountered.
These sentiments were expressed at a mass  NADD rally held at a village in
URD last Sunday. An old farmer said that, the  majority of them are yet to
receive their monies since they sold their nuts in  December. He said that most of
them have sold their livestock to make ends meet.  Another farmer, who
appeared very agitated, stated that there were more than two  hundred (200) bags of
groundnuts in the village warehouses, which according to  him has not yet been
paid for. He pointed out that, he cannot even estimate the  amount in dalasis.
He emphasized skepticism over the future of farmers in the  country if the
APRC wins the election. He called on fellow farmers to vote the  APRC out to put
in power a government that can alleviate their plight.  Addressing the
farmers, Honorable Sidia Jatta told them not to complain because  they have the
power to change the system. He assured them that power resides in  them and that
they have the mandate to vote any government in or out. Mr. Jatta  impressed on
the people of Dampha Kunda, that the president is their servant who  is
mandated by them to work in their interest and well being. “If your servant
refuses to work in accordance with you wish you have the mandate to sack him and
employ another person,” he emphasized. He noted that, as human beings, they
should not allow to be ridden like draught animals to their death.
“Your  servants are riding on your backs and you are blaming God,” he told
the crowd.  Jatta added that farmers are contributing to the D3, 000,000.00 of
the yearly  budget. He advised them to vote wisely when casting their votes.

KEMO SAHO DENIED BAIL
By Modou Jonga

The bail  application for the release of Kemo Saho has been rejected by the
Brikama  Magistrate Court on Thursday 14th September 2006. Kemo Saho is accused
of  assaulting the Imam of Farato. The application was made by Lawyer Lamin
Mboge  who held brief for Borry Touray (Counsel for the accused). In moving the
 application, Mboge, cited Section 99(1) of the Criminal Code, noting that
the  accused has spent almost over six weeks in custody and is a devout
believer,  being a family head and a bread winner of his family. He noted that Ramadan
is  fast approaching. Counsel Mboge further stated that the accused has
expressed  his regret over the incident that led to the revocation of the bail that
was  granted to him. He also pointed out that the accused has vowed to keep
the  peace. He said the continuous remand of the accused, has transgressed upon
the  accused person’s family.
The bail application was objected to by the  Prosecutor, 492 Badjie stated
that he feared that it is unsafe to grant bail to  the accused, whom he said has
shown disrespect to the court. Badjie said the  revocation of his bail is not
the initiative of the prosecution but the making  of the accused. The
prosecutor further urged the court to reject the application  made by Lawyer Mboge.
After listening to both sides, the trial Magistrate  upheld the objection
made by the prosecutor.

DARBOE RESOLVE  TO ADDRESS THE PLIGHT OF THE YOUTH
By Amie Sanneh

Ousainou Darboe,  the leader of the UDP/NRP/GPDP alliance has said that he is
resolved to address  the plight of youths in this country if he is elected by
the people. Addressing  hundreds of supporters in Bansang on Thursday
evening, Darboe revealed that they  will establish a Youth Entrepreneurship Scheme
(YES) to address the plight of  youths in the country if they are voted into
office.
This scheme he said,  will help the youths to develop skills and become self
reliant. He spoke of the  National Youth Service Scheme and the Youth
Development Enterprise, which he  said have failed as a result of incomprehensive
programmes. He called on the  youths to vote for him: He told the youths that they
will regret it if they vote  for the ruling APRC Party.
Darboe also spoke of his plans to improve the  health, education and
agricultural sectors. He expressed concern over the issue  of alien cards and said
that if he is voted in, alien cases will be a thing of  the past.
He also said if they win, they will encourage investment in the  provinces up
to Koina in a bid to improve the livelihood of the people living  there.
Madi Bah who spoke earlier lamented over the deplorable condition of  their
hospital. He urged the people to vote for Darboe inorder for them to “Move  out
of their problems.” Sheikh Ceesay who also spoke at the meeting, said Darboe
wants to develop the country. He told the people to vote for Darboe if they
want  to live in a peaceful, prosperous and democratic atmosphere.
Ndondi Baldeh,  Lamin Keita, Numukunda Ceesay and Mali Baldeh also spoke at
the meeting and  expressed allegiance to the UDP/NRP/GPDP alliance. Several
people announced  their defection from the ruling the APRC party to the UDP.

“NADD IS  THE TRUTH;
THEREFORE CLING ON TO THE ROPE OF TRUTH THAT NEVER  BREAKS.”

Dear Editor,
Please allow me space in your widely read  paper.
Yes it is in the scriptures that mankind was admonished thus: “oh you  who
believe, be firm in justice as witnesses for God, even in cases against
yourself; your parents or relatives and whether it be against the rich or  poor.  For
God can best protect both.  Follow not the lusts of your  hearts, lest you
survive, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice  verily God is
well acquainted with all that you do”.  Elsewhere it is  stated: “O you who
believe standout firmly for God as witnesses for fair dealing  and let not the
hatred of others make you survive to wrong doing and depart from  justice.  That
is next to piety, and fear God for God is well acquainted  with all that you
do”. After reading or hearing and knowing these admonitions  what could
prevent one from recognizing the truth and standing by it at all  cost.
It is only the truth that can ensure us liberty, dignity, peace and
prosperity.  To cling on to falsehood only brings hardship, insecurity,  ignorance,
disease, and object poverty upon the people.  These have been  the experience of
The Gambian people over the past twelve years under Yahya  Jammeh.  Even
though he has sworn to preside over the affairs of the  country in accordance with
the will of the people without fear or favour,  affection or ill will, we
have all been witnesses to the constant violations of  that will (the
constitution) and the reduction of the citizens into slaves in  their own country.  The
constitutional and human rights of the citizens are  being violated daily.  No
one is spared, not the religious leaders or media  practitioners; not the
soldiers, the Police or the National Intelligence Agency  officers; not the
Alkalos, chiefs, commissioner, mayors, National Assembly  Members, commissioners of
the Independent Electoral Commission, marabouts or  even Jammeh’s own close
associates. In fact his close associates are the worst  affected in the end.
On the economic sphere, the lives of the people are  deplorable. The cost of
living is getting higher and higher on a daily basis.  Consequently the
earning capacity of the people is stagnant for some and falling  for most people. No
employment is created for the hundreds of thousands of  youths leaving our
schools. As a result of mismanagement of the economy.  Jammeh’s regime is now
indebted to the tune of twenty two billion dalasis from  three billion dalasis
in 1994 resulting to the payment of one thousand, five  hundred million dalasis
(D1500, 000,000.00) from our budget yearly for servicing  those loans, loans
that were taken to create white elephant projects meant to  blind the people
to the economic hardship they are faced with and the constant  violation of
their constitutional and human rights. Instead of investing into  the productive
sector to create wealth and jobs for the youths who are being  driven by
frustration at home to die in the Mediterranean Sea loans are taken  massively to
finance such white elephant projects. Despite all the hardship and
dehumanization brought upon The Gambian people, President Jammeh is making every  effort
to perpetuate himself in power by all means even against the will of the
majority of people. He has been habitually removing the members of the IEC
unconstitutionally in order to render it partial and dependent. The public media  is
transformed into a propaganda tool for Jammeh and his party. The independent
media is muzzled. He has used the numerical strength of his party to empower
him  to dissolve the National Assembly at his whims. The constitutional
provision,  which ensured that nobody becomes the President of this country without
the  support of at least 50% of the electoral, has been removed. Everything
has been  done by him to block all peaceful and constitutional means, thereby
making  resort to violent means inevitable. This is a clear manifestation that
Jammeh  has betrayed the aspirations of The Gambian people.
These are some of the  reasons why Gambians at home and abroad called upon
the opposition parties in  the country to come together for the sake of
rekindling the hope of the people;  to put an end to the self-perpetuating rule of
Yahya Jammeh and put in its place  a government that will empower them and end
their long suffering; for the sake  of our farmers who could not enjoy the
fruits of their labour after enduring  hardship upon hardship with crude tools; for
the sake of our youths who, because  of lack of employment at home have to
risk their lives to try to cross the ocean  to get to Europe for greener
pastures; to enable to escape from the poverty  destitution and isolation in which
the Jammeh regime has dumped them. The  opposition parties in The Gambia then,
NDAM, PPP, NRP, PDOIS and UDP responded  to this clarion call by signing a
Memorandum of Understanding, which established  the National Alliance for
Democracy and Development, NADD. In the Memorandum of  Understanding they agreed to
undertake a five-year transition programme during  which they are to carryout
institutional and constitutional reforms in order to  ensure an open democratic
society based on the promotion of national unity,  freedom, peace, prosperity.
Such a programme will ensure the development of the  productive base,
redistribution on the basis of equity, employment and general  welfare as well as
foster African regional integration. Gambians welcome this  development
everywhere. There was hope once again that the future of our  motherland is going to be
bright. This hope was redoubled when NADD scored a  resounding success at the
by-elections, which took place after the registration  of NADD. There was no
doubt in the minds of the people that their long suffering  is coming to an
end. In the Memorandum of Understanding the five political  parties agreed that
the selection of the candidate of the Alliance for the  Presidential, National
Assembly and Council elections should be done on the  basis of consensus;
provided that in the event of an impasse selection shall be  done by holding a
primary election restricted to party delegates on the basis of  equal number of
delegates, comprising the Chairman, Chairwoman and youth leader  of each party
from each village ward in each constituency. They also agreed that  the
President of the republic under the Alliance should serve for a five-year  term of
office only. He/she should vacate his or her seat at the end of his or  her
term and should neither seek nor support the candidature of any other person
for the ensuring Presidential election. They also agreed to put in place a
constitutional provision that would limit the number of terms a person could
occupy the office of President of the republic, two terms, to be  precise.
Just few months to Presidential election, Lawyer Ousainou Darboe  took
everybody by surprise by resigning from NADD and justifying his action by  alleging
that there was hatred and distrust within NADD, which he could not  explain,
even after he was challenged to do so. He later informed the people  through a
BBC interview that he resigned from NADD because he could not leave  his
party, UDP for any other party, even though it was common knowledge that UDP  was
part of NADD when he tendered his resignation. All efforts by Gambians at  home
and abroad to persuade Mr. Darboe to amend his action went in vein. His
action only serves the interest of President Jammeh and his APRC regime, not The
Gambian people. It was speculated by some people that he did what he did
because  he was not selected as the flagbearer. But the fact of the matter is that
Mr.  Darboe left NADD well before the selection of the flagbearer. Secondly in
an  interview with Malick Jones over GRTS radio, Mr. Darboe has categorically
stated  that it was not because of leadership that he resigned from NADD. He
said if he  wanted to be the leader of NADD, he would have asked the NADD
executive to go  for a primary election as indicated in their MOU. According to
him he would have  won the primary. But he said he was not interested in
leadership that was why he  did no do that. One may now ask what made Ousainou Darboe
to leave NADD, if it  was not meant to give Yahya Jammeh the opportunity to
stay on. Since he has not  given any genuine reason to The Gambian people for
his action, he could only be  seen as a betrayer of the aspirations of the
people. Therefore, Mr. Darboe and  Yayha Jammeh are not different. In my opinion
they are one and the same. If the  people really want change, they must give
their backs to both of them and give  all their support to NADD. This is the
truth that never breaks, for it is only  righteousness that can safe us. NADD is
the guarantee for the future of our  motherland. May God safe and bless our
land.
By a concerned  citizen

HALIFA REACTS LETTER TO THE IEC

Attached under the  cover of the Memorandum is a copy of my response to a
Daily Observer front page  article dated on Monday 18th September 2006 which
distorts the essence of a  statement I made upon my return from a nationwide
campaign tour.
I hope you  will ensure that the Daily Observer publishes the content in the
front page of  its next issue.
Yours in the service of the nation.
Halifa Sallah
NADD  Presidential Candidate

A REPLY TO THE DAILY OBSERVER  CAPTION
“HALIFA URGES ELECTORATE TO DECIDE”

The article published in  your newspaper on Monday 18 September 2006 entitled
Halifa urges electorate to  decide is not only erroneous but is calculated to
mislead the electorate to give  favour to the APRC. I have always made it
categorically clear, throughout my  campaign, that the APRC regime has been
guilty of mismanagement of public  revenue and the income of public corporations
and has stifled the investment  potential and the income earning capacity of the
farmers, thus creating a  heavily indebted poor country that can only
guarantee abject poverty to its  citizenry. I have left no stone unturned to prove
that the development projects  are a by-product of loans that cannot be repaid,
thus undermining the  sustainability of the development of the country.
On the other hand, I have  shown that the APRC’s violation of fundamental
rights and freedoms is a fetter  to the liberty of our people, an affront to
sovereignty of the owners of the  country and has deprived the country of the
opportunity for debt cancellation  and genuine aid to address the question of
poverty.
In this respect, I have  called on The Gambian people to show the APRC regime
a red card for being unfit  to govern.
Halifa Sallah
NADD Presidential Candidate

ASPIRANT MIGRANTS CONVICTED

The Brikama Magistrate Court  has yesterday convicted and fined fourteen
Senegalese nationals for entering The  Gambia without permit or legal authority.
The fourteen aspirant migrants, who  wanted to use The Gambia as a transit
point to the Canary Island, were  intercepted on 2nd September at Kartong. They
were arraigned in court on a later  date and they pleaded guilty to the charge
of entering The Gambia without legal  authority. The proceeding was then
adjourned to yesterday.
At yesterday’s  hearing, police prosecutor, Tijan Badjie, said the police
received information  on 2nd September that some youths have assembled at
Kartong. Tijan Badjie said  they (the police) were informed that the youths were
preparing to board a vessel  that was bound for the Canary Island.
The prosecutor said a group of police  and immigration officers were
dispatched to Kartong where accused persons were  found. Badjie told the court that
the accused persons were interrogated and it  was discovered that the youths are
aliens, and are without valid permit to enter  the country. He said they were
at that juncture arrested and taken to the PIU  headquarters in Kanifing
where they were all cautioned and charged.
The  counsel for the accused persons, Lamin K. Mboge said the narration of
the  prosecutor is correct. He, however, urged the court to tamper justice with
mercy. He noted that it is apparent on the charge sheet that most of the
accused  persons are youths from Senegal, pointing out that accused number 12,
Bakery  Ndong, is a minor. He said it is an offence to enter The Gambia without a
 permit, but the intention of the accused persons is not to remain in The
Gambia,  but in search of greener pasture. After citing the Immigration Act,
Lawyer Mboge  urged the court to impose a fine that is reasonable and payable in
the  circumstances of the case. He told the court to order the repatriation of
the  convicts to Senegal.
In his judgment, Magistrate Mbye said he has listened to  the strong plea
made by Lawyer Mboge on behalf of his clients. He said the  aspirant migrants are
youths who want to pursue a brighter future, but they have  broken the laws
of The Gambia. He went further to say that The Gambia will  always welcome
citizens from the four corners of the world as long as they have  valid permit to
enter the country. He said it is not relevant that the convicts  do not intend
to say in the country.
The Magistrate ordered each of the  convicts to pay a fine of D2000 each in
default to serve a jail term of one  year. The court further ordered that after
paying the fine or serving the jail  term, the convicts should be repatriated
to Senegal.
An application  submitted by the defense counsel for the court to review its
decision, was  denied by the court.

APRC HOLD MEETING
By Annia Gaye

The  APRC  government has plans to put in place an agriculture investment
bank  and a clothing factory if it is voted in to office , said Yankuba Touray ,
the  Secretary of State for Agriculture cum National Mobiliser for the ruling
APRC.
Yankuba Touray made this disclosure yesterday at an APRC meeting held  at
Basori. Touray told the meeting that the proposed agriculture investment bank
will provide loans to farmers. He further told the meeting that the APRC
government has already procured 105 tractors for the farmers. He said the  tractors
will arrive in the country soon. According to Touray the said tractors  will
be given to farmers on loan basis. Touray pointed out that they also have
plans to put in place a mango processing factory. He said if the aforesaid
projects are implemented, it will provide jobs for many of young people and will
boost the economy of this country.
He called on the electorate to vote for  President Jammeh because he has
initiated a lot of projects for the people of  The Gambia.
For his part, President Jammeh told the electorate at Basori that  he will
not give them rice and sugar for the Ramadan, if they fail to vote for  him. He
was however quick to tell them that he will provide water supply, roads  and
electricity to the whole country if he is elected by the  people.

HAMAT BAH BRIMS WITH CONFIDENCE
By Amie  Sanneh

Hamat Bah has expressed optimism that the UDP alliance will win  the 2006
Presidential election. Speaking to hundreds of supporters who welcomed  the UDP
convoy at Chakunda while it was on its way to Bansang, on Thursday  evening, he
said their struggle is the beginning of a process of removing Jammeh  from
power come September 22nd. He said the process of regime change which is  their
slogan started on the nomination day, and no one can stop it. He pointed  out
that they are not going to compromise with anybody if they win the election.
He said civil servants who behave unprofessionally will account for their
deeds.  He said civil servants who are working professionally will be maintained.
He  said they are out to rescue The Gambia. He said they want to develop the
Gambia.  He said they are aware of the problems their supporters are facing
countrywide.  He said those who victimize their supporters will account for their
deeds if  they win the election.
He however urged their supporters to be law abiding.  He said Gambians are
ready for change, noting Ousainou Darboe will emerge  victorious in the
forthcoming Presidential election.

YANKUBA ON  APRC’S PLAN
By Annia Gaye

Addressing a mass political rally held at  Gunjur recently, the National
Mobiliser for the APRC and SoS for Agriculture,  Yankuba Touray said Gunjur will
be provided with pipe borne water in the next 5  years.
He said 2 million dollars has been put aside for the country’s Water
Project. He told the electorate that the whole of Gunjur will be electrified if  they
vote for Jammeh. He said President Jammeh has procured 500 tractors, which
he said will be given to the farmers on loan basis. He said the tractors will
be  in the Gambia in October. He noted that 25000 hectares of rice will be
cultivated by farmers in the next five years.
Regarding transportation,  Touray indicating that railways will be provided
for the entire country. He  called on the people of Gunjur to vote for Jammeh.
In his turn, President  Jammeh said those who want electricity should give
their names to the Chairman  of the Village Development Committee for onward
transmission to NAWEC. He said  he will transform the whole country into a city.
He said anybody who gives  his Ramadan sugar and rice to an opposition
sympathizer will be jailed. He said  the opposition will nor benefit from his
projects.

Issue No.  80/2006, 20- 21 September, 2006

Editorial

TOWARDS PEACEFUL  ELECTION

Election is a means through which the masses express their will  and
determine the fate of country. Since the whole nation cannot meet at a given  place to
decide on matters affecting the country, the people have power to  select
their representatives and remove them from office.
In short, elected  representatives act as trustees at the service of the
people for a given period  – five years in our case. At the end of that period the
elected representative  renders account and if the citizens are satisfied
with his/her performance they  will return him/her to office. Otherwise, they
will replace him with another who  can serve them better.
Since an elected representative is a servant of the  people he/she should
remain in power so long as his/her service is needed by the  people. One need not
force one self to stay in power. This can serve as a source  of instability.
All politicians should be committed to free and fair  elections. Let the
people decide freely how they want the country to be run.  There is no need for
arm twisting, no need for threats and blackmail.
In this  way elections become a simple matter which enable the people to make
their  decision and for such decision to be respected. This is the best way
to preserve  peace and democracy. It is the way forward for all those who
cherish these  ideals.

HALIFA LASHES AT GRTS & NIA DG
By Bubacarr K.  Sowe

Halifa Sallah, Presidential candidate for NADD has indicated that  the
Director General of GRTS and the NIA are “guilty of professional misconduct”  by
putting Buba Sanyang before the press while investigations are in  progress.
Speaking to journalists and election observers on Wednesday at the  NADD
headquarters in Churchill’s Town, Mr. Sallah said: “The GRTS Director and  the
Director General of NIA, are guilty of professional misconduct. They are
conducting an investigation according to them. Buba Sanyang is on bail, they  have
no authority to go before the press giving the impression that the young  man
is guilty of a crime.”
Sallah added that the GRTS broadcast on Tuesday  evening that Buba Sanyang
has confessed that he impersonated as an IEC agent  during the nomination, is a
clear indication that the GRTS and the NIA have  ulterior motive geared
towards tarnishing his image as a Presidential candidate  in the September 22nd
polls.
“What they have done is prejudicial to the  rights of Buba Sanyang to a fair
hearing in a law court, to the presumption of  innocence until proven or
pleaded guilty. And you plead before a court and not  GRTS or NIA,” he said.
The NADD Presidential Candidate also said that it is  prejudicial to the
right of a Presidential Candidate whose image should not be  tarnished in any
form. “And what they have done is an attempt to damage the  image of the NADD
Candidacy.”
Mr. Sallah went on to say that this is a clear  indication that the ruling
party is unfit to govern and no amount of  intimidation or trickery will block
their (NADD) way.
“This is their last  atom of intimidation, and all the fan fare in the
streets do not reflect what is  on the ground. This time we are vigorous,” he said.
Sallah has also accused  the Daily Observer newspaper of professional bias
when reporting on him. He said  that even the National Assembly proceedings are
not fairly covered by the Daily  Observer.
On the Inter Party Committee, Sallah said that it has totally  become
dysfunctional in this election period. The minority leader of the  National Assembly
also said that the misconduct of the GRTS, Daily Observer and  the NIA is an
indictment on the IEC.

Resist Change & Be  Caged
By Modou Nyang

Honourable Halifa Sallah the Presidential  candidate of the National Alliance
for Democracy and Development (NADD) in  tomorrows Presidential polls, has
indicated that if the Gambian people vote for  his party (NADD) and Yaya Jammeh
says that he will not leave office, the United  Nations and the African Union
will together come to the Gambia, pick him and  cage him as Charles Taylor is
presently.
In an apparent response to Jammeh’s  often reported campaign statement that
even if people do not vote for him he  will continue to be president, Halifa
told an enthusiastic crowd in the Nuimis  and Jokadu constituencies, over the
weekend, that if they vote in NADD to power,  the responsibility of removing
Jammeh from office will be shouldered by  him.
“Just do your part and I will take care of the rest” he retorted. “If
Jammeh is voted out and he says that he will not leave, the UN and AU will pick
him from here and take him to where Charles Taylor is, and I hope that he will
not put him shelf in such a mess,” Sallah indicated.
Elaborating further,  Halifa said: “Taylor was more powerful than Jammeh and
that he fought a bitter  war before he was voted in as President of Liberia
but because he violated  international law he is now in jail at the Hague, in
the Netherlands. “ I hope  that he (Jammeh) will not want to be in such a
situation and that he will prefer  to leave and live as a former head of state.
Continuing with their campaign  in the Kombos for the remaining days of the
campaign period as part of the NADD  campaign body which has now been divided
into nine teams to be based in the  different regions of the country. The Kombo
team was received by scores of  jubilant supporters in Jambanjelly, Sanyang
and Sukuta. Speaking in Sukuta,  Halifa who leads the campaign team for the
Kombos and the Greater Banjul area,  strongly refuted allegations by Ousainou
Darboe of the UDP that voting for NADD  means aiding the APRPC. Halifa said that
throughout his country wide tour he did  not talk about Ousainou Darboe. “I
did not talk about him throughout our country  wide tour but if he is now
equating voting for NADD with aiding the APRC, he  must be very dishonest,” Sallah
stressed. Continuing further Halifa indicated  that in fact NADD helped the UDP
by giving it a new lease of life politically.  He said this is so because
when they (the UDP) boycott the last National  Assembly elections they claimed
that the electoral system in the country is  fraudulent because they won the
presidential elections but were denied their  victory by the APRC.
“I personally went to Jarra to talk to the people to  convince them which
eventually led to the election of Kemeseng Jammeh under the  banner of the UDP.”
The people were in total despair since they were made to  believe that
elections are fruitless.
Dilating on how the NADD entourage was  received during its country wide
tour, Halifa indicated that in Fass Omar Saho  he could not even disembark from
his vehicle due to the large turn out of people  who were waiting to receive
them. “The same thing happened in Jakaba, Diabugu,  Taibatu, Brikamaba and other
places where the UDP were not well received. This  is a clear indication that
NADD is well accepted by the Gambian  people.
Rounding up his party’s program in contrast to that of the APRC,  Halifa said
that if voted in to office, NADD will stay for only five years  during which
period; all bad laws like the indemnity act will be repealed and  replaced
with good ones. Implement a sound economic policy to create jobs and  raise the
earning capacity of civil servants and the people in general. “Instead  of
investing (D345) three hundred and forty five million in the purchase and
refurbishment of a hotel (Ocean Bay), we would rather use the amount to purchase  the
produce of the farmers sell it and use part of the profit to subsidize the
cost of fertilizer to make it affordable to farmers.” We will establish
factories to process the farm produce of the country which in turn will create  jobs.

UDP ALIANCE SOMA RALLY
By Amie Sanneh

As the  political parties in the country gear up for the September 22nd
Presidential  elections, UDP/NRP/GPDP visited Jarra Soma with hundreds of people in
attendance  at their meeting. The people welcomed them from Karantaba to the
heart of Soma,  where meeting was held.
Addressing the gathering, Lawyer Ousainou Darboe, the  flag bearer of the
UDP/NRP/GPDP Alliance advised the people to be careful within  the few days left
before the elections. He said this is the time that people  will come around
and knock at their doors at night. Lawyer Darboe remarked that  those people
will start giving out rice, sugar and money, saying that the  Ramadan is coming
and they can have those gifts and give them their votes. He  pointed out that
those people do not know how they, (the rural people) were  living yesterday;
whether they have been eating or not. He said the reason why  they are doing
this is because of the election and added that those people will  be following
their own interest and not those of Gambians. The UDP/NRP/GPDP flag  bearer
revealed that the budget allocated for the health sector is not  sufficient;
that this is why the country is facing all these difficulties. He  said a disease
which disturbs people most should be of more concern to a  government to take
the necessary preventive approach than treatment. He revealed  that if voted
into office of President, they will have a primary health care  system. He
also said that every country should have an emergency fund kept aside  in case of
any emergency, so as to be able to protect the citizenry.
On the  Agricultural Sector Darboe said that they will build cold stores
where women  will be able keep their goods for two or three months, without having
them  rotten. He said they will also make arrangements for them to be able to
sell  their farm produce at the international level. Lawyer Darboe noted that
if they  want their gardens to benefit them, they should vote for the “grand
alliance” as  they call their party. He said they are not only going to
concentrate on  groundnuts alone but that they will also bring in other crops. He
said they will  help the people for the betterment of the country.
He revealed that if they  were at the helm, of power Soma would have been a
city.

THE GAMBIA  OWES D22 BILLION
SAYS HALIFA SALLAH
By Fabakary B.  Ceesay

The flag bearer of the National Alliance for Democracy and Development,  Hon.
Halifa Sallah has told the electorate country wide that, The Gambia’s loan
stands at D22, 000,000,000.00.
Addressing the electorate during his country  wide tour, Honourable Sallah
informed the people that, this year the government  is supposed to pay the
creditors an amount of D1, 500,000,000.00, noting that  each Gambian including
babies, owes D22, 000.00 as to personal share to the  loan. He also told them that
this year the taxpayers will contribute about D3,  600,000 000.00 as the
country’s budget.
He pointed out that, most of the  country’s infrastructural developments are
financed from loan borrowed from  foreign internal organizations and foreign
countries. Honorable Sallah asserted  that, the Bwiam Hospital and the
Television Station were built from loans  borrowed from Libya; the Esse-Kerewan road
and the Bridge were loans from Taiwan  and the Kombo Coastal Road from The
Islamic Bank and OPEC. He noted that a  country cannot depend on loans for
development; that they are not investing the  loans wisely and that is why they are
not generating income for the servicing of  the loan.
He also told the people that such loans should be invested in the
Agricultural sector, Transport services, and Water and Electricity Services  inorder to
have more investment and provide job opportunities for the  people.
“This is why we have hospitals without medicine, schools without  adequate
stationery and GPTC without buses,” he said. Honorable Sallah also  lamented on
the employment opportunities for the hundred and seventy thousand  students
who will graduate in the next ten (10) years. “Documents from  government
Quarters indicate that, this year, there will be zero  growth.

YOUTHS URGED TO VOTE FOR APRC

Addressing a rally at  Bundung-Serrekunda on Thursday, the SoS for
communication, Hon Neneh Macdouall  Gaye, has urged the youths of the country to vote
for the APRC Government in the  22nd Presidential elections indicating that the
President is the only one who  can rule the country in peace and development.
SoS Gaye stated that the  President initiated many development projects for
the country ranging from  university education with scholarships to students
who can’t afford to pay and  other major developments. He noted that a Silicon
Valley project would soon be  brought to provide employment for the youths.
Yankuba Touray the party’s  national mobiliser and SoS for Agriculture, in
addressing the rally, told the  youths to vote for APRC, noting  that the APRC is
the only party, that can  develop the country, saying that the opposition is
only looking for leadership  but cannot develop the country. He urged the youths
to wake up from their  slumber and follow the APRC government. He promised
Gambian that a drug factory  of 1.5m Euro, would be put in place in the next five
years where  600   different drugs would be produced. He stated that, with
this factory, The Gambia  would be able to supply many African countries like
Senegal, Guinea and others.  He said their would be a word competition at
Serrekunda Central and any word who  wins will be provided with free water supply.
He called on the people of  Serrekunda Central to vote for the APRC.

LAMIN FATTY’S TRIAL  DRAGS
By Bubacarr K. Sowe

The ongoing trial of Lamin Fatty, a  Journalist with the shuttered
Independent newspaper, was on Tuesday adjourned to  the 27th day of September 2006, due
to the magistrate’s absence.
The sitting  which was expected to be heard from the third prosecuting
witness, was adjourned  to a previous date, also due the absence of the witness.
Fatty, who was  charged with false publication, pleaded not guilty. Before
being charged with  the offence, he was detained at the NIA for sixty-two days,
together with his  managing editor and editor in chief, who were later
released. His paper, “The  Independent,” had been closed down by the state since
April this  year.

COMMONWEALTH OBSERVERS OUTLINE IT’S PROGRAMMES
By Bubacarr  K. Sowe

Dr. Salim Ahmed Salim, chairman of the Commonwealth observer  group for the
22nd September presidential election, has announced that his team  will be
deployed around the country on Wednesday to witness the election and  counting
process as in all the seven administrative areas.
Addressing a press  conference on Monday at the Kairaba Hotel, Dr. Salim
said: “On Wednesday, we  will deploy around the country. After we have witnessed
the end of the campaign,  the election day, the counting and the release of
much of the results as we can  see, we will re-assemble in Banjul to compile our
report which we will complete  and sign here, prior to our departure on the
29th of September, 2006.”
He  added that the report will be submitted to the Commonwealth
Secretary-General  who will inturn forward it to the Government of The Gambia, the IEC, the
 political parties participating in the election and to all Commonwealth
governments.
“The report will subsequently be made publicly available here,  in The Gambia
and throughout the Commonwealth, in printed form and on the  website of the
Commonwealth Secretariat,’ Salim said.
He stated that they  have been mandated to observe some relevant aspects of
the organisation and  conduct of the elections.
“We will consider all the factors impinging on the  credibility of the
electoral process as a whole. Our two key tasks are to  determine, in our judgment,
whether the conditions exist for a free expression  of will by the electors,
and if the results of the elections reflect the wishes  of the people,” he
stressed
Dr. Salim also said that even in advanced  countries if they find out
anything that is detrimental to the whole electoral  process they will surely point
it out.
“If we find something or some actions  which are detrimental to the whole
electoral process, we will talk about it. We  are here to give an objective
assessment. We know that elections normally are  not perfect. Even in the most
advanced countries we have difficulties in the  electoral process. But we want to
see that basic condition exists for the people  of The Gambia to exercise
their rights,” Dr. Salim posited.

MURDER  TRIAL ADJOURNED AGAIN
By Modou Jonga

The murder trail involving  Kate Afori and others was re-adjourned to 2nd
October 2006 by the Brikama  Magistrates Court. In his application for
adjournment, the prosecutor, ASP Tijan  Badjie, said forensic investigation by the joint
Gambian Police and the visiting  British Police into the murder of Mr.
Willion West is not completed.
Kate  Afori is accused of killing her husband in Sanyang in June with a
pestle while  the latter was asleep. The widow, Mrs. Kate Afori West, pleaded
guilty to the  preferred murder charge against him while the three other Nigerian
nationals,  Favour Akponegbeta Abokou, Idriss Masade and David Bathran pleaded
not guilty to  the murder charge preferred against them.

THIS ELECTION WILL  DETERMING YOUR FUTURE DARBOE TELLS GAMBIANS
By Amie Sanneh

Lawyer  Ousainou Darboe, the UDP/NRP/GPDP alliance leader, has told Gambians
that the  upcoming election will determine how they want to live in the next
five  years.
Addressing hundreds of people at the Brikama praying grounds, Darboe  said
Gambians have to make major decisions. The major decision he said will
determine whether Gambians want to live in a democratic state, an environment  which
will have power concentrated in the hands of an individual, or to live in  a
secure country which will also cater for their welfare.
Lawyer Darboe noted  that Gambians cannot afford to make a mistake by voting
for President Jammeh for  another five years which will destroy the farming in
the country.
He said  UDP/NRP/GPDP government, will liberate Gambians and will not become
idealist  people.
Darboe told Gambian youths to reject false promises that are always  given to
them at the time of every election and encouraged them to vote for the
UDP/NRP/GPDP alliance.
He however urged the youths to comport themselves and  remain the
distinguished ambassors of peace that they have ever been.
Darboe  revealed that throughout the trip his entourage did not face any
problem on the  way until when they came to Foni, where supporters of APRC where
stoning   their convoy and that one of his supporters was stabbed in the neck.
He however  urged his supporters to avoid such conflicts throughout the
election  period.
Speaking earlier, Hamat Bah, an executive member of the UDP/NRP/GPDP
alliance said Gambians will never regret voting for Darboe as President. He said
Gambians will enjoy democracy, liberty and would not be disappointed. “Gambians
need a government under the UDP alliance which will restore democracy,
liberty,  dignity and make sure that they feel proud of The Gambia,” he said.
Mr. Bah  however expressed optimism that they will win the election due to
the support  people have given to them throughout the campaign period which he
has never seen  before.
He, however, commended all Gambians for the support they have given  to them
noting that it is a clear demonstration that on the 22nd of September  there
will be a change of government.
UDP/NRP/GPDP supporters on Wednesday  marched with the convoy from the
Brikama College to the Africell junction where  they held their last meeting for the
campaign in preparation of the September 22  Presidential elections.

IMPERSONATION CASE CONTINUES
By Modou  Jonga

Muhamed Musa Jallow, who was a victim of impersonation on Thursday  14
September testifies before Magistrate Mbye. The alleged impersonators, namely
Ebrima Jallow, Hatab Sanneh, Pateh Taal, Pa Jali Njie Lamin Jatta and Momodou
Lamin Camara were said to defraud the shopkeeper at the Brikama Market, by  posing
themselves as CID and health officers and had in their possession a  handcuff
and a fake identity card.
The bail of the alleged impersonators was  revoked by the court in the
previous sitting.  Testifying in court, Muhamed  Musa Jallow, the second prosecution
witness, said the accused persons came to  his shop and demanded cigarettes
and a cash amount of D2000 from him. The  witness said, the accused persons
accepted to be given D500 after which they  left his shop. The witness further
stated that after receiving the information  that the accused persons were
arrested, he went to the Brikama Police Station  where he explained his encounter
with the accused persons. He said while at the  station he was asked by the
Police to identify the accused persons while they  were paraded. The trial was
adjourned to the 28th September 2006. ASP Tijan  Badjie was the prosecutor.