GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"M.B.Krubally" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 22:53:06 -0700
Sister Jabou regardless of age or upbringing, it should be natural that one avoids profanity especially in public. It is also safe to say that we all saw this coming. Like I pleaded before, the personal attacks and profanity needs to stop. I hope the list managers would reinstate the delisted members and set a new standard of communication. I don't see their efforts as policing us at all, but to ensure a somewhat peaceful environment. I agree with you "Let us each ask ourselves this question. Would you use profanity on the job, in class or anywhere else where you hope to be taken seriously and viewed as an intelligent professional? The answer is probably a resounding no, so why not conduct ourselves in the same manner on this list which is out there for the entire World to access and to judge Gambians by what they see here and how we treat each other?"
Momodou Billo Krubally

  Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]> wrote: In a message dated 5/22/2002 2:17:23 AM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> And I repeat that my standard on this list is "what is possible in a normal
> gambian bantaba back home under the mango-tree, where your families, the
> elders, the scholars are all attending". What can you say, not say. What
> language can you use ? Itīs not what is common in New York or Copenhagen
> suburb, but it is what is a respectable tone in the gambian village, thatīs
> my standard here.
> With my upbringing I have limits, which are passed every month on this list

Absjorn,

I did not want to enter this debate for fear of being "salted and hung out to
dry" because someone is angry I did not say what they want to hear. Your
above statement is my sentiment exactly. Respectbility starts with oneself. I
mentioned recently in a statement that one is only rebuked if one lends
themselves to the possibility.
Lately I have been thinking that perhaps it is my age, or perhaps i was
brought up differently, but I see no need for anyone on this list to use
profanity when having a discussion, on or off this list. If my children
engaged in such, I would consider it a huge embarassment, and would not
hesitate to tell them so. Infact, I expect no such thing from any of them
ever.
Our society used to value good breeding and manners and I hope to Allah
almighty that this has not changed. Therefore, we do not need to use
profanity, and I do not understand how all of the intelligent people on this
list fail to see that using profanity is not something to be proud of, but
rather an indication that one has limitations in expressing themselves so
they resort to this.

If the allegation is that others have used profanity and this has been
overlooked, while some are delisted, then we need to take a look at the
evidence, and if we find this to be the case, then we set a standard that is
to be applied evenly across the board to one and all.

However, what would be more ideal would be to have a list where all of us act
like intelligent, mature and well brought up people who never feel a need to
use profanity against anyone, no matter how heated the argument. Let us each
ask ourselves this question. Would you use profanity on the job, in class or
anywhere else where you hope to be taken seriously and viewed as an
intelligent professional? The answer is probably a resounding no, so why not
conduct ourselves in the same manner on this list which is out there for the
entire World to access and to judge Gambians by what they see here and how we
treat each other?
Respect is earend, not demanded, so I implore all of you to use common sense
at all times and proceed with caution. If one says everything that is at the
tip of your tongue each time, it makes for total chaos. Whoever does not like
this list must have a field day each time they see people at each others'
throats at the drop of a hat.

Jabou Joh