GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 12:25:14 EST
Hi Sajaw,
I think that we are all thinking along the same lines by saying that the
situation in The Gambia has become untenable for everyone.  However, in your
post, you implied that Gambia has no resources and, therefore, we would not
have anything to rebuild in aftermath of a bloodbath.  I have to disagree
with you on this point.

I was also really young in 1981.  But the devastation was felt by everyone.
The Banjul and Serrekunda markets, which were had flourished before the coup,
were completely destroyed.  It took years to recover from that.  Similarly,
along with other businesses, the CFAO that was located in downtown Banjul was
completely looted.  In fact, very few businesses were spared by the ruthless
mob that destroyed everything in it's wake.  Needless to say, our economy
suffered greatly because of the carnage and destruction that happened during
the revolt of 1981.  Inflation skyrocketed and the Dalasi was greatly
devalued greatly.  Also, the already erratic supply of electricity and water
was further disrupted.

All this happened because our country's resources were virtually destroyed.
Subsequently, and a ripple effect was felt in every sector of our economy.
Compared to other countries, we have little resources.  But, Sajo, everything
is relative and the few resources we have are as essential to the development
of our country as the many resources of America are essential to her
development.