GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Dec 2002 10:54:58 -0500
Deputy Speaker 'Blows Her Mind' Inquires About D100, 000 Opens

The Independent (Banjul)
NEWS
December 27, 2002
Posted to the web December 27, 2002

By Pk Jarju
Banjul

The Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly is leading inquiries into the
fate of D100, 000, that is unaccounted for, after it was earmarked for
official entertainment and hotel accommodations for their visiting
counterparts from other countries over the last two years.

Speaking last week, Honourable Belinda Bidwell who also wanted to know why
nine vacancies in the National Assembly have not been occupied by qualified
Gambians 'looking for jobs', said the amount was given to the National
Assembly to cover expenditure on foreign legislators while they are on
visits to The Gambia.

According to Honourable Bidwell, D50, 000 was allocated to the National
Assembly last year and the same amount was allocated this year in the
budgetary estimates for the official entertainment and hotel accommodation
of their visiting counterparts and inquired whether the Assembly had
entertained any foreign Parliamentarian or paid any hotel bill with the
reported money. 'If that is not the case, it interests us to know what
happened to the money' she pointed out.

Honourable Bidwell said it was difficult to fathom the reason why Gambians
are not filling the vacant positions in the National Assembly and
emphasised that such a move would have minimized rampant unemployment rife
in The Gambia. 'It would be of interest to know what happened to the monies
budgeted for those who are to fill such vacancies' she stated.

The Deputy Speaker who claimed she was addressing issues affecting the
Assembly first before dilating on external ones in her position as Deputy
Speaker, added that since joining the National Assembly, she has personally
asked for toilet papers, soap, biscuits, tea among other things to be given
to the various committees during their sittings, yet such a request has
never been looked into thus giving her no other alternative but to use her
own money to buy such provisions.

Bidwell explained that despite raising the issue at committee level, no
action was taken by way of addressing it. ' I think it is time we brought
it out in the open so that we all know about it and see where it has gone
wrong and to find possible solutions to it 'she said.

Honourable Bidwell added that she did not want to be blamed or finger-
pointed at for raising the issue in the Assembly because she had no other
alternative to cause her colleagues to act on a matter of such importance.

'I want to take my stand as my integrity as Deputy speaker is at stake' she
said noting that she meant any word of what she said and would stand firm
by it anytime in the future.

'I do not mind leaving the Assembly even today, but as my integrity is at
stake, what I said was correct and I would stand firm by it ' she
emphasised.

Raising a point of clarification, the Majority Leader Honourable Baba Jobe
noted that as members of the National Assembly anything affecting them
should be discussed through the 'official channel' rather than being made a
matter of open discussion. He added that the National Assembly consists of
various committees to discuss such issues in confidence and away from the
public glare. He reminded the Deputy Speaker that there is no provision in
the standing orders of the Assembly, which allows members to raise
questions regarding money matters. Honourable Jobe stressed that the
National Assembly does not have any coffer of its own but rather depends on
the Central Revenue Department for the disbursement of money as an when the
need arises.

The Speaker of the National Assembly Sheriff Dibba observed that although
the deputy speaker was right in raising such concerns, yet he felt it was
unnecessary for her to 'blow it up in the open'. Honourable Dibba added
that his office is aware of the Deputy Speaker's concerns in respect of the
vacancies and the unaccounted D100, 000. On the vacancy issue Dibba said
his office has notified the National Assembly authority, which before the
end of the year would announce it to enable suitably qualified candidates
to apply. He added that he personally demanded explanations from the
relevant authorities as to how the National Assembly had spent the money on
official entertainment and hotel accommodation and was still awaiting
answers. Honourable Dibba revealed that the Assembly was at first informed
that the money in question was used to purchase provisions such as coffee,
tea and sugar for members.

Also contributing on the motion, Mama Kandeh member for Jimara called on
his colleagues to change their attitude towards their work as the nation's
legislatures. He said indifference is breeding room for hatred against the
president, which could have wider implications. According to Honourable
Kandeh, NAMS have a significant role to play in the socio-economic
development of the country and could individually or collectively
complement government's efforts in providing a better environment for the
people they represent in the august Assembly.