GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 10:56:56 +0100
 --- Edi Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
"I think the trusted ;and capable party like the UDP
under the leadership of Ousainou Dardo, should do more
to impress their supporters and well wishers than this
mare expulsion of Juwa Juwara from the party. However,
accountability and transparency of the kind of
government people are crying for, should be noticed
from the time as an opposition. This again shows the
people that Dardo is from the mainstream politic
and&nbsp;can mean he will be corrupt as well as the
previous ones"

Edi

You are quite right, I am hoping that this is a  BIG
lesson for UDP and being the fact I am a sympathiser
of such party, I would be expecting that they comply
with the famous saying: CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME" An
opposition party will never gain power if it tries to
play the politics of deceit.

You also wrote

"Once again, if UDP cannot clear their accountability
saga, I don't think Gambians should trust them
anymore. I for on, think expelling Juwara should be
the last thing.&nbsp;We should be&nbsp;alarmed and
awake from our sleepless slumber and in-hale the
air&nbsp;that is overshadowing the&nbsp;new world as
true democracy. Power to the people Accountability and
transparency with rules of law.&nbsp;Again a member of
a party should not be expelled due to his noticing and
talking of corrupt practices undertaken by his/her
party before investigation to prove him/her wrong. In
this way, true democracy will prevailed to both party
members and the general public. "

Edi

I would have agreed with only if you take a look at
how Waa Juwara started his campaign to "unseat" Darboe
as Leader of the Party. Waa never mention a word until
he learnt that  Darboe had paid a courtesy call to
Chief Justice, expressing his dissatisfaction over the
sacking of Justice Hassan Jallow. If Waa Juwara was
sincere with him self with such  statements then one
must question him WHY did he not  make his views known
about boycotting the Local Government Elections held
in April.
Believe it or not, I cannot trust his argument on the
reasons for Darboe to relinquish the post of Leader of
the party. In fact, the man made a very good  claim of
financial impropriety; no facts other than hearsay
evidence was submitted. For the benefit of this
discourse, please go to  the archives and read his
account about Darboe's taxes being paid by the PARTY.

Again you wrote
"Again, if the party members are afraid to speak their
mind&nbsp;on party principles if "mis-managed", due to
fear of getting fired, this will reflect to the
general public too hence their representative will
only say what is good to hear or what the government
will tolerate. Meaning, if one is treated bad or is
against some of the government policies, will never be
represented even if the person or a group is a dead
supporter of the party, hence as a supporter, they
expect you to abide by all the&nbsp;deeds, whether
(good or bad) of the government."

Edi
Please note that people like my type will not succumb
to this style of politics. UDP does not belong to
Darboe, it belongs to all gambians who believe in the
firm principle of Justice, Peace and Progress. Unlike
other political parties, UDP is not a leader oriented
party. The party has a machinery in place responsible
for running the affairs of the party. Perhaps, you
should take time and read the Party's Constitution.
Ousainou Darboe is the leader but not the owner.
Moreover his position as leader is not permananent,
any UDP member can challenge Darboe  for the
leadership provided it is conducted according to the
principles of democracy and who knows maybe ME or You
will one day take on Darboe for the leadership(laugh).
There is nothing stopping anyone to voice out their
disapproval in the way the party is run, but please
note that procedures have to be followed and this is
what Waa sadly fail to realise.

Finally, I have tried not to castigate Waa Juwara, as
this would be unhealthy for political maturity.
However, just take a look at how Waa is currently
behaving since his explusion. There is the likelihood
that he will form a party and the way things are
going, it seems this new party will be a leader
oriented party. Is this what Gambia needs in  the
Second Republic? Leader oriented parties are always
bound to fail once the founder/leader dies or retires
for active politics. Moreover, he has been making
reference to the plight of Bakary Bunja Darboe and
Saihou Sabally, if this is all what Waa can talk about
then surely he should start re-applying to join the
PPP led by its interim leader Omar Amadou Jallow.

On that note this is my take, look forward to your
useful contributions.

Have a pleasant weekend.

Sanusi Owens

" width=12></FONT></U></EM></H5>
<DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></div><br
clear=all><hr>MSN Photos is the easiest way to share
and print your photos: <a
href='http://g.msn.com/1HM1ENFI/c156??PI=44332'>Click

go to the Gambia-L Web interface
at:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html
To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail
to: