GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamine Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 21:53:32 -0500
Dear Dr. D.Beckley:

As a product of a Historically Black Institution of North Carolina Central
University, I am forwarding a request that I have made to Dr. Stovall.  As
I prepare my decision to academia, I am strongly leaning towards enrolling
in the Ph.D. program in Business Administration(accounting concentration)
at Mississippi State University in the Fall of 2001.

It is indeed no coincidence that I want to meet you in the spirit of
democracy.  Your message to the student body at Rust College symbolizes a
desire on the part of the students to rise up in making critical decisions
for the progress of African Americans.  I must admit that this spirit is
firmly imbedded in me.

I hope you can convince Dr. Stovall to allow me time to address the student
body.

Sincerely,
Muhammad Lamine Jassey-Conteh

Gambians
> around the globe and friends of our great country are fighting endlessly
> for a peaceful transition to democracy.  Since July 22, 1994, our country
> has gradually turned for the worst.  As we revisit the very political
> doctrines that you teach your students, we are alarmed that a man of your
> caliber can be misled by a military styled dictator that is bent on lies
> and deceit.
>
> On April 11, 2000 the paramilitary police fired on innocent Gambian
> students demonstrating peacefully for rights inherent in the
constitutions of
> The Gambia and the United States.  After this senseless attack, about 14
> students died, including an innocent Red Cross volunteer tending to the
> wounded.
>
> Sometime around the middle of last summer, the United Democratic Party was
> attacked by the July 22 Movement bandits.  As I write this appeal to you,
> the Gambian dictator is proposing a Sharia law in The Gambia that will
have
> negative consequences on the minority Christian population.  As you go to
> church  this Sunday, I would like for you to do some soul-searching on
your
> right to freedom of religion.
>
> On the economic front, The Gambian currency continues to decline.  The
> culprit is lack of convincing economic policy that is unable to sustain
our
> country even into a mere economic equilibrium.  If I may borrow a page
from
> your political doctrine: "there can be no economic growth without
political
> freedom."
>
> Your interest in The Gambian should be commended, but we cannot tolerate
> your nearsightedness in not understanding the plight of Gambians.  While
we
> respect your right of choice, we are adamantly alarmed at your
> inconsistency.  You must realize that we are united for a common cause in
> fighting a principle that is so truly protected in the Bill of Rights.
>
> The Gambia is our country, and therefore, we are obliged to come to Rust
> College to plead our case.  I hope you consider my request.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Muhammad Lamine Jassey-Conteh
> Greensboro, NC
> Home: 336-854-3019
> Work: 1800-678-8009(5)
> Mobile: 336-708-2682
>
> --- Lamine Conteh
> --- EarthLink: It's your Internet.

> if you have problems accessing the web interface and remember to write
your full name and e-mail address.