GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Matarr Moses Sajaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 02:22:51 EST
My fellow Lers,

I have enjoyed and at times been disgusted by some of the blatant disregard
for decency on the list. For the most part I have been satisfied with the
level of intellect that we now have as a community.

The current news and postings to the list about the political state of our
lovely country has caused me great worry. Many of the postings reflects views
of dissatisfaction with the way the Jammeh Government is Governing.

The recent news on a failed coup attempt also fuels more fears of a bloody
rebellion if an intervention is not imposed to resolve some of these issues.
The failed coup of 1981 brings horrifying memories to date. Although I was 10
years old at the time, I still cannot bring myself to understands that
Gambians can be that violent. Gambians can kill indiscriminatingly; women and
children.

As we get into the new millennium, the Gambia must find ways and means to
mend the fabric of our society.  I personally agree with Dr. Saine's letter
to the president. This form of peaceful communication is another method to
foster peace. If you disagree fine, it is your right to agree to disagree.
War has ravaged and forced many nations to some severe economic hardship.
Last time I did some research we were still an under-previledged nation. We
don't have the resources to destroy and rebuild.

Some of you have some very genuine methods of transition. The only alternate
for peace may be for Jammeh to pave the way for a free and fair electoral
process. He can increase the probability for greater peace if all political
parties can participate in the upcoming election so that the Gambia can
decide who should lead. Great leaders compromise to achieve even greater
results.  There are probably a few hundred alternatives to peace. I am
confident a coup is not one of my favorable ones.

Jammeh should take the list member's offer to setup a truth and
reconciliation committee to investigate all the allegations that has been
levied against his government. As a champion of democracy and transparency in
government, I believe that he will not hesitate to put his government through
the same rigor that he did his predecessor. This can bring closure to some
questions that many have about the actions of his government.

in conclusion I would like say that peace builds prosperity. Only in peace
can great nations flourish. Only during peaceful times can children learn to
love and appreciate the beautiful gifts of life. As a nation we have a lot to
be angry about. We have been subjected to pay the consequences of ignorance.
We have been through Jawara and survived a bloody revolution. Now we have
Jammeh and we still see the same evidence of political endangerment. How can
we stop this cycle of leadership? What is good for Gambia? Who can lead us to
prosperity? When can we change? The clock is ticking, our elections is
2001/2002.  Take your vote and vote for a leader that will deliver a more
fruitful Gambia.

Thank you.
Matarr Sajaw.