GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 14:59:30 -0000
Hamjatta and Saul,

Halifa is not in the office today. He is preparing to travel to Abidjan
tomorrow to attend a UNICEF Regional Consultation on Vision for African
Children in 21st Century. He should be back on Sunday next which is the 5
December and I am sure he will find your questions very interesting. If
anybody else has anything to ask or any contention to raise regarding the
transition period, please raise those issues before he comes so that all
contentious issues can be treated at one go.

I wish to inform Hamjatta and Saul Khan that I was the one extracting from
the publications Halifa's conduct during the coup. The work had become too
much because of the competing use of the computer to produce a newspaper,
school books, research and consultancy materials, etc. I did not think it
was a priority, but as halifa had insisted before, I should have just
completed the work. May be if I did, the questions which are being raised
would not have been raised. I remember going up to the arrest and detention
under Decree No. 4. I would reorganise myself and make it a point of duty to
give anybody interested the whole history. I must say that I am enjoying the
new wave of public discourse that is developing. We will now see which
political figures in The Gambia are transparent or otherwise. All political
figures should be subjected to the scrutiny you have started.

Sheikh.