GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 09:39:26 EDT
Yesterday, in reply to a letter from Halifa Sallah regarding what to do
next, I suggested that people call on the Attorney General to appoint an
independent prosecutor (preferably a human rights activists from outside The
Gambia) to prosecute criminals who perpetrated these heinous acts. This
prosecution, if done correctly, will lead us straight to Yaya. I have little
doubt about that. I know if someone lower than Yaya was responsible for
this, that person would be a dead man or woman by now. However, am not that
familiar with the Constitution of The Gambia to know the provisions that
relate to the treatment of the president when he is accused of crimes while
in office. I hope they can at least impeach him and throw him out of office
and then prosecute him. Again I defer to constitutional lawyers on this
matter. Please don't just dismiss what am saying by saying to yourself that
these are just theories and Yaya cannot be held accountable. Everybody in
The Gambia is accountable. If the students were prepared to demonstrate
because one of their colleagues was killed and another one raped, imagine
what will happen if they believe that the government is dragging its feet in
bringing to justice murderers of 14 people. But the students and the Gambian
population at large have to have something to work with. The government has
to be seen to be dragging its feet. The best way to challenge them now is to
force the Attorney General to appoint that prosecutor. This is an open and
shut case. Yaya inadvertently admitted that he was aware of what was going
on and again I haven't heard that the VP or the Interior minister or the
army chief have been fired or jailed or shot before a firing squad.
secondly, even Tombong conceded that it was remarkable that none of the
security forces were shot at. So there is little doubt as to where the chips
should fall here. Our task is to force the government to acknowledge that.
The same sense of justice that motivated the school children on April 10
will again come into play when justice is not seen to be done in this case.
I hope list members who know human rights lawyers would come forward and
suggest to the Attorney General to appoint an independent prosecutor.

KB