GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamadi Banna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 10:02:55 -0500
I, personally, think that former President Jawara has every right as a
Gambian citizen to go back to his country if he so wishes. I just have
qualms about his future role in Gambian politics.  Any attempt for a come
back would be seen as an extreme case of lust for power.  His critics always
point to the fact that he ruled the country for three decades without a
limited mandate. He can on the other hand assume the traditional role
accorded to elders in African societies: that of a peace-maker and bridge
builder. Someone has inferred that Mr. Jawara could use his popularity to
attract voters for a united opposition. Whether the current APRC government
would tolerate him dabbling in politics and undermining their own power base
is the question that some people are asking.

I believe, it is time that Gambian politics move forward.  No single
individual holds the panacea to our country’s ills.  I agree with Amadou
Scattred Janneh that a call for the restoration of “Jawara la Jamano” will
not answer our questions. If the present opposition parties cannot defeat
the APRC on President Jammeh’s own record, but would have to rely on former
President Jawara’s endorsement then something is seriously wrong somewhere.

The personality cult that Mr. Yahya Jammeh has cultivated since he came to
power and his blatant disregard for the rule of law will surely bring him
down someday.  He has apparently refused to learn from similar lessons of
history that abound in his own sub-region.  He missed a rendezvous with
history the very day he decided that no one, but him has the answers to The
Gambia’s endless problems.  By the time President Jammeh turns back, he will
realize just as did his predecessor that history is the best teacher.

Hamadi.