GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 14:53:01 EDT
Hello, everyone.  I have some questions about this election process and other
related things.  Could someone please help me answer them?
     First of all, since it seems that President Jammeh has won the
elections, why does it seem that people would vote for him if everyone here
seems to be saying how incompetent he is?  And how he has no regard for human
rights?  And everything else that some have said about him?
     I guess I am asking, barring any fraud or anything like that, if the
people in The Gambia voted Jammeh in a second time, what is their perspective
on things versus the people on this list?
     I am just asking because for the past few months, people have been
coming on this list saying how Gambians are tired of Jammeh and they are
going to vote him out.  Well, it seems that maybe they are not as tired of
him as some thought.  Also, it seems to me that based on the numbers so far,
if the opposition had been able t united behind a candidate, they may have
been able to win or at least cause a runoff.  So the guy who had kept talking
about the opposition uniting, it seems he may have been right after all...  I
am sorry that I don't remember his name...
     I just don't understand how a lot of people on this list are talking
about the people wanting change, and how they are going to vote Jammeh out,
and it seems the opposite thing happens.  So what happened?
     I am not sure if I am making any sense.  If not, just write me and I'll
try to clarify what I am trying to ask...
     I am just a little nervous asking these questions because the last time
I commented on this list, when I tried to tell everyone to stop insulting
each other, some people jumped all over me.  I am just trying to learn and
understand things, that is all...
Take care everyone...
Ginny