GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Buharry Gassama <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Momodou Buharry Gassama <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 2009 15:12:55 +0100
Hi Jabou!
Thanks for your response. Your posts are also always very refreshing
and educative and I do really enjoy them.

What I wrote was neither a recipe for nor an endorsement of
?maslaa?. It was meant to provoke a process of retrospection and
introspection. You are right that good governance and tyranny shall
always be such. I have not argued anywhere that people ignore facts and
accept fantasy explanations or that they should not express outrage at
anything they view as deserving of such. I agree that there should not
be ?divided camps in how we view tyranny and why it has to take all of
us, in and outside of The Gambia being on the same page to defeat it.?
What I argued was that in order to ?be effective conduits of
progressive change, we should realign our thought patterns and think on
the level of the average Gambian and learn to identify the issues that
Gambians hold dear and not the issues we expect them to hold dear.?  We
cannot just assume that all Gambians view the government as tyrannical
because that would be fallacious. You also stated that we ?may
understand that those who are closer in proximity to the tyrant
government of Yaya Jammeh are less free to express themselves for fear
of reprisal.? That is why we should not be so condemning of them if
they fail to express outrage the way we do thousands of miles away. The
argument is not about expressing outrage. It is about how the outrage
is expressed. Most of us would not be expressing outrage the way we do
in Stockholm, London, New York etc. if we were in Banjul, Serrekunda,
Bakau etc. We cannot be telling people to take to the streets and do
this and that without any contingency plans to aid them should they be
arrested, fired from work, killed etc.

You wrote: ?I am also of the firm belief that those of us who are able
to speak  without fear have a responsibility to do so and yes indeed,
we speak for those who cannot or are too timid to do so, or even out of
sheer ignorance and even if they do not recognize or appreciate this.?
What some us do is not only claim to be speaking on behalf of those who
are silent. We condemn them over and over without even knowing the
reason for their failure to participate. We expect them to carry out
what we deem necessary without even knowing if they agree with what we
believe in.

The case of Malcolm X and the Black Power Movement is different from
ours. The Black Power Movement from the Black Muslims, the Black
Panthers to the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC), The
Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) and followers all had
organization and ability. The SCLC and SNCC were able to organize civil
disobedience because they had the logistics, manpower and organization
to effectively do so. The Black Muslims and Black Panthers had the
guns, organisation, willpower etc. to take radical stances. That is why
Bobby Seale could lead a group of Panthers to the California Capitol
with guns and get Ronald Reagan running. If you go to Africa, the ANC
had organization, manpower, a military wing and the will to bring down
Apartheid. The Pan Africanist Congress (PAC) did not adopt its ?one
settler one bullet? without the necessary infrastructure to attempt to
make good its pronouncements. What do we have? Sitting at my computer
in Stockholm after having a nice lunch of Benachin, washing it down
with Coke and some attaya and telling people in Banjul to confront
soldiers who will not hesitate to arrest or shoot them is at best
wishful thinking and at worst irresponsible. Martin Luther King did not
sit in Atlanta and direct people to march against the brutal and racist
states of Alabama and Mississippi with their brutal police. He was
there in the trenches with them taking the blows and humiliation
together with them. If I am not willing to go to Gambia and be on the
frontline with the masses for whatever reason, then I do not have the
right to condemn them for the little they do given their circumstances.
If the average Gambian can muster the courage to condemn something with
words such as ?I am sad that this happened? instead of ?this happened
because the brutal dictatorship??, I should respect the fact that he /
she is operating in an environment where the circumstances make it
difficult or even dangerous for him / her to take the more radical
stance.  If PDOIS or UDP can only offer open letters, press releases
etc., that is what they are able to do under the circumstances. If we
want them to do something different or against their policies and
principles, why don?t we provide the logistics, manpower etc. to enable
them to do so? We have over the years seen warriors come and go online,
blowing hot air and forcing what they deem solutions, albeit
unachievable, on people through intimidation. I have always wondered
what some people would do if they had the mandate and power Yaya Jammeh
has because of the way they behave online without either power or
mandate. Jabou, you have vigorously argued your beliefs online but I
don?t remember you constantly forcing your beliefs and trying to force
people to accept them and constantly condemning them for refusing to do
so. Other people have vociferously condemned injustice and argued their
points of view without condemning people for refusing to accept their
viewpoints. They have presented and defended their case and then let
the people choose what they want and finally agreed to disagree.

I don?t disagree with the need for enlightenment. That is why I am a
PDOIS sympathizer. Thanks again for your contributions. I hope I have
addressed the issues you raised. Have a good day.
Buharry.