GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 15:06:20 +0100
Just after the Parliamentary elections a sister in the Gambia sent her friend
an E-Mail, telling her that she was sorry for the late reply due partly to the
fact that electricity is back to normal in the Gambia. At first I thought that
the "98% " promised is been finally fulfilled, that the Generator that we were
proudly told will solve our electricity supply and got the people dancing in
the street and the president who himself got so excited, started dishing out
the Dalasi to the Dancing crowd, remember, not even his grand Children will
get poor. I said to my self that this is the greatest achievement of the APRC
government. It would not take me long to understand the language, that this
was just a dream, that what is "Normal" in the Gambia is few hours of
electricity a day or no hours of electricity. How on earth could the APRC
believe that "Vision 2020" could be realising without sufficient electricity
supply? How on earth could we industrialise that country without sufficient
electricity supply? At our 37 year old celebration as a nation, we are still
not able to supply the whole country with clean running water, even though
that this is a country where you need not be many miles away to the source of
water on or below the earth, no matter what part of the country you are. Had
the government engaged itself in a safe drinking water supply project for all
, they will not only be increasing employment at Sankung Sillah, they would be
lifting a great burden on our poor health system. But instead they sent our
heads and minds into the skies, to look at flying Jets. Who does not
understand this language? Who is the Gambia going to war with? With Senegal?
Which other country? Or is it that the jets could fly without entering
Senegalese airspace, for we could not expect to ask Senegal permission to use
their airspace any time we fly them to bomb another country. But we have
another human factor, the feeling of insecurity could lead to such action, for
there will always be the need to poof that one is capable of defending him/her
self in case of danger. I am of the opinion that these Jets, if they are that
of the APRC government, are only for the psychological warfare and nothing
else. There are better things to do than having Jet fighters; a commercial
plane would do better for the national interest, it will be a source of
income. There are better things to do and more effective in defending the
national interest of Gambians and or improved their security.
Nothing more better to do than the buying of the Farmers groundnuts and pay
them in time rather than sending them at the doors of newsmen crying, after
many months of maleria, hard work and hunger. You can never build a defence
wall against such humiliation; you are hurting the pride and all that makes
him/her human. Why should you not understand how it feels when one is not able
to provide for his/her family, not that he/she did not try, but after many
months of hard work, you might not be there when the children cry. And just
some few months back, you impressed the whole world with the many millions you
have at your disposal for your poverty alleviation project. The contradiction
here could be beyond conprehention. Help the farmers to get their monies and
feed their families; don't let them wait for your poverty alleviation monies.
It is no fun for an adult to go to a newsman and cry.
And one thing more, free Dumo saho, Justice delay is Justice denied.

For Freedom
Saiks