GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 09:33:46 EDT
Ebrima, like your source said, let the loser accept the position. If Ousman
Jammeh wants to be the next AG, so be it. Like we said before, we conquered
Fafa, Marong, Sisay, Bittaye, Nyang and Secka (an average of one AG a year).
Ousman Jammeh would be child's play. To be frank though, am surprised that
Ousman Jammeh is an ardent Yaya supporter. But then again if Ousman Jammeh's
mentor (Hassan Jallow) is now part of the Yaya regime, it should not come as
a big surprise that Ousman Jammeh will shift loyalties. Well, Ousman Jammeh
does not have more rights to that position as I have to become an AG in the
U.S. The simple truth is that both of us are not lawyers. Unless Jammeh went
recently to take a Bar exam somewhere in the Commonwealth, he does not have
more claims to that position than any court clerk aspiring to become a
lawyer. Jammeh studied in Malaysia at a time when that country would not
allow the Gambians to do their Bar exams. After finishing his law degree, he
came home and because he was a boy boy of Hassan Jallow, they manipulated
the laws and called him to the Gambian Bar. Every lawyer in The Gambia and
people interested in the legal profession knew that that was wrong. People
always finished their degrees and spend another year taking the Bar. Some
spend years failing the Bar exams. Some prominent Gambian magistrates gave
up on taking the Bar (because of numerous failed attempts) and ended up not
practicing as lawyers but going straight to the Bench. Because of Ousman's
links with the former regime, he was spared that ordeal. So this guy owes
his career to Hassan Jallow and by extension to the Jawara regime. It would
be a pleasant surprise to learn that his conscience finally hit him and that
he went to take the Bar as all lawyers do. If he has not taken the Bar, then
he should stop pretending to be a lawyer and turn down the offer if Yaya
wants to appoint him AG.
Ebrima, your source seem to know Ousman more than we know him. So, Ousman
might still go ahead and accept the position. We know this much about
Jammeh. He is not as dumb as Marong (the second AG). The latter accepted the
appointment at a time when he did not have the required post call experience
in order to be an AG. In other words, his appointment was illegal. Yes, the
appointment of the AG (custodian of the laws of our country) was illegal. I
doubt whether they even bothered to amend the laws to accommodate the likes
of Marong and Ousman. Any way, coming back to Ousman, word is, he is not a
dummy. But he should have the integrity to realize that he is being asked to
commit a crime i.e. impersonation of a lawyer. So before he accepts the
position, he should insist that they change the laws to allow non-lawyers to
become AG. If Ousman does not do that, this time around, the lawyers in The
Gambia should challenge the legality of Ousman's appointment. The lawyers
let Marong slide. That should not be repeated. The integrity of their
profession is at stake here. The reputation of our country is at stake here.
I know there are enough nonentities and incompetents in that government that
should last us a lifetime of disgrace. But we will be the first country on
earth to appoint an AG that is not a real lawyer. We are not just talking
about a lawyer without the required post-call experience (as in Marong's
case). We are talking here about someone who is not a lawyer. He was only
called to the Bar thanks to the corruption of the Jawara regime and the
difficulty the AG chambers was facing recruiting competent lawyers.
KB