GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2011 16:30:32 -0400
Folks,
  do we have another name for Jola, perhaps one of their own? Several
instances I have seen Floop /Feloop country used in maps or text (before
1900) to refer to the people of present day Foni. Francis Moore in 1723
wrote "...over against the James Fort (James Island), the empire of
Fonia and but a little way inalnd are a sort of people call'd Floops..
Their country is vast extent but they have no King among them... their
towns ... independent of each other..' He went on to state what he may
have gotten from his Mandinka handlers  "...these Floops have the
character never to forgive or let the least injury go un-revenged; but
then, to make amends, the least good office done them is always repaid
by them with a grateful acknowledgment.."  Has this badge of honor
earned them the name Jola /Jorrlaa ( in Mandinka)?   Any insights?

Malanding Jaiteh

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい