GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yankuba Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 22:56:34 -0500
An HTML Version of this newsletter can be found at
http://www.mygambia.org/newsletter.html

myGambia.org Newsletter April 22, 2001

PLEA FOR DONATIONS

Thank you for taking the time to read about these unfortunate kids who are
merely victims of circumstance. It has been a year since the shooting
incident and not much has changed for them; they are still languishing in
the Gambia without proper treatment and are in desperate need of help.

Can you imagine being a 17-year-old paraplegic living in the Gambia or
anywhere for that matter, just sitting around with no treatment, and slowly
wasting away with no realistic future ahead of you. How about being only 17-
years-old without a gall bladder, only one kidney, with some of your
intestines surgically removed and unable to digest food coupled with
constant pain attacks. How about a 17-year-old student with multiple leg
fractures resulting in almost no pulse and lost of sensation in parts of
his leg. This is the graphic profile of Yusupha Mbye, Assan Suwareh, and
Sainey Senghore, and without your help they surely face a very dire future.

Since the launch of our website we have raised almost $1300.00 with
additional pledges of about $300.00. This amount does not even come close
to what we had hoped to raise. We are calling on everyone reading this,
especially Gambians, to please visit the site and send in a donation. To
date we have had over 3000 visitors to the site, the majority being
Gambians, and only four Gambians have sent in a donation! We cannot
completely rely on outsiders to help us, when we are not doing enough to
take care of our own. Of course we would like people to donate as much as
they can, but what we really want is for people to donate something,
anything, any amount, and am sure the majority of those visiting the site
could afford to donate at least $1.00. Look at it this way, if everyone
visiting myGambia.org had donated $1.00 we would have raised close to
$5000.00 by now. That amount can go a long way in helping these needy boys.
Please help by sending in your donation.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who have already
donated and The Gambian association in the Washington DC area, lead by Ya
Sophie , Karamba Touray and others, for agreeing to pay for the airfares
for these students in the event they travel abroad for treatment. I know a
lot of people were involved in raising that fund, so thank you to all those
who contributed and were involved with that fundraising effort.

These young boys need our help because their families and those closest to
them do not have the financial means to get them the proper medical
treatment they so desperately need. They can only rely on the kindness and
humanity of people like you. Please visit myGambia.org and donate whatever
amount you can afford and also don't forget to spread the word about the
plight of these young boys because by telling others, it will help increase
the number of people visiting myGambia.org and in turn increase the number
of potential donors. Visit the "Frequently Asked Questions" section of our
site to learn about ways in which you can make an impact on the lives of
these young boys.

Again, thank you for your continued support and concern.

UPDATE ON YUSUPHA MBYE

Yusupha is still in the hospital and has still not yet recovered the use of
his legs and his right hand but he is now able to use his left hand. He has
not been receiving any physical therapy since late last year and is pretty
much just lying around in the hospital without any treatment. He has been
in one hospital or another since the shooting incident. He was in Egypt
briefly for treatment but has since returned to the Gambia for lack of
funds to continue his treatment in Egypt. While in Egypt, he had
significantly improved but has since lost most or all of that due to the
lack of treatment ever since he was returned to the Gambia. He has been to
the therapy unit at the RVH several times and they always come up with one
excuse or another; " the person supposed to give you the therapy is not
here," or "We do not have the needed equipment." So he decided to stop
going there since it is a lot of hassle for him to get there with his wheel
chair.

He is also unable to urinate by himself resulting in the use of a catheter
(tube) which is passed into his bladder. As a result his bladder is so
blocked with waste material that the doctors cannot insert the tube from
the catheter. He was also trying to get additional treatment at the
Independence stadium , where the athletes have a Sports medicine doctor,
but the hospital (RVH) will not allow him to leave. So he is still at the
Royal Victoria Hospital in Banjul.

Recently President Jammeh visited him at the hospital and promised him that
the Gambia government will sponsor him for further treatment abroad. We are
in the process of identifying potential hospitals in the USA that could
offer treatment for his injuries. Hopefully in the next month or so, he
could be here for treatment.

UPDATE ON SAINEY SENGHORE

Sainey is pretty much in the same situation as Yusupha; he is not receiving
any treatment for his injured leg. We are in the process of trying to get
him medical help from either a private clinic in the Gambia, Senegal or the
Sub Region until a sponsor is available to send him abroad for treatment.
From the information we have received so far, he is not included in the
sponsorship for treatment that the Gambian government is offering to
Yusupha.

UPDATE ON ASSAN SUWAREH

Assan Suwareh is also languishing in the Gambia with no treatment of his
wounds. Efforts are underway by his family members and friends to send him
abroad for treatment. He is also not included in the sponsorship for
treatment that the Gambian government is offering to Yusupha.

DONATION RESULTS

We have raised a total of $1240.49. Of that amount some or all of it will
be sent to the Gambia sometime this month or early next month to provide
for better care for Sainey, Yusupha, and Assan while they are waiting for
Sponsors.

We would like to thank the following people for their kind donations

Matida Njie
Anonymous
Matt Tragna
Michael Parker
Amadou Janha
Fatoumatta Njie
Karthik Chandrasekaran

For a more detailed list of donors, please visit
http://www.mygambia.org/results.html

VICTIM PROFILES
Yusupha Mbye:http://www.mygambia.org/ymbye.html
Assan Suwareh:http://www.mygambia.org/asuwareh.html
Sainey Senghore:http://www.mygambia.org/ssenghore.html

USEFUL LINKS
Donations Results:http://www.mygambia.org/results.html
Make a Donation:http://www.mygambia.org/donate.html
Tell a Friend:http://www.mygambia.org/tellafriend.html
Comments:http://www.mygambia.org/comments.html
Bank Statement:http://www.mygambia.org/statement.html
Frequently Asked Questions:http://www.mygambia.org/faq.html
Subscribe/Un-subscribe:http://www.mygambia.org/unsubs.htm

To subscribe or unsubsribe from the myGambia.org newsletter, Please visit
us at http://www.mygambia.org/unsubs.htm or send a message to
[log in to unmask] Thank you

All comments above are solely those of myGambia.org. Copyright 2001. All
Rights Reserved.