GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bokaloho <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 18:39:07 -0000
Wednesday pm.
On Monday I had an appointment with the Ambassador for the European
Commission in The Gambia. He was already very well informed about the case
and promised to notify Brussels, the British High Commissioner here and
Embassies in Dakar (especially the Swedish) when he goes there soon. However
he said that their possibility to act is not large now since the case have -
somehow - reached the courts.
Another thing: yesterday one Mr Kanta Jawo came to the centre. He is taking
care of the boka loho nursery school in Bunebore (Foni, not far from
Kanilai).
He told us that on the 16/7 he was picked up from his home in Bwiam by 7
soldiers (state guard) from Kanilai. They asked him if he knows "Dumo" and
when he looked confused they gave the name Modou Sarho. Aha, of course he is
with Boka Loho and has come to our village with some students to help us
erect the collapsed schoolbuilding. Anyway, handcuffed, he was taken to
spend the night in Sibanor police station. The day after he was transferred
to NIA HQ in Banjul where he spent two nights and answered questions about
his dealings with Dumo and Boka Loho. After that he was allowed to sleep
with some relatives outside (Fajikunda) but had to report daily to NIA for
interrogation. He also said that he was never mistreated or harassed.
Finally, yesterday, he was told that he didn't have to come back again and
came to report the whole thing to Boka Loho. We reported the thing to
Emanuel Joof and the newspapers. And this morning the EU-ambassador was also
briefed about it.
As I see it, it indicates that they have not up til now been able to find
any evidence against Dumo and try everything to get something to justify
their arrest.
Emanuel Joof is now working with Ousman Silla and they have decided to take
a joint approach. The next thing we are waiting for is an urgent hearing of
the appeal.
Still the treason charges have not been filed with the high court although
the prosecutor was supposed to do that on the 17/7.
The coalition for human right activists are planning to work on that.
I think that that could also be a subject for pressure from other ends as
well; such as media, local and international as well as individuals (maybe a
fax campaign would do the trick).
That's all for now,
thanks for your support,
Annika