GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Malanding S. Jaiteh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 12:09:12 -0400
Basil,
I share your frustrations. Those invested with the power to "hire and fire"
must use it wisely. During a visit to the Gambia a senior civil servant told
me that "your days in the service are numbered any day your job requires you
to meet with Jammeh and his team once a month".
I find this statement very frustrating. What is even more frustrating is
that those removed (terminated or retired) seldom get their hard-earn
pensions. When I enquired about a terminated colleague given some contract
given his skills and experience, someone told me that there is a circular
around that those terminated or removed must not be given employment without
special permission.

No wonder those who cannot leave or get the "International Appointments"
prefer to "duck" to avoid being "fired"! Afterall there is also a regulation
that civil servants are not permitted to talk to press even when they are
unlawful fired!

Malanding Jaiteh