GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 07:33:49 -0500
Folks,

Now that both the presidential and National Assembly have come and gone, I
believe that the opposition in The Gambia should now put their act together
and provide Gambians a choice to look at. Frankly, what we have witnessed
during the past few months leaves much to be desired.

Just a few weeks back, we witnessed the acrimonious rancour from the midst
of the main opposition UDP executive that finally led to the formation of
NDAM. During the past two weeks, there has been a lot of unhealthy
exchanges between the Kolior, a former member of the UDP who left for NDAM
and is now back with the UDP, and the leader of NDAM, Lamin Waa Juwara.

The NRP has not been saying much and nor is the PPP.

In the recent past, at least two former executive members of the UDP who
defected from their partner joined the ruling APRC rather than any other
opposition party.

Just a thought, Gassa

UDP Faces Gloomy Future - Former UDP Bigwig in LRD

The Daily Observer (Banjul)
NEWS
October 31, 2002
Posted to the web October 31, 2002

By Pa Malick Faye
Banjul

Majanko Samusa, a former executive member of the opposition United
Democratic Party (UDP) has said "the UDP faces a gloomy future simply
because of its unrealistic nature which makes it impossible to unseat the
ruling APRC".

Mr Samusa was speaking Tuesday at a mass political rally in Kiang Kaiaf in
the ongoing tour of the Lower River Division by the APRC LRD Divisional
Committee. He said: "the UDP is a party of misinformation for it alleged
that the APRC bribed the NCP leader to a tune of D3million plus a Pajero
vehicle to undermine the opposition. This shows how the UDP propaganda
machinery went all out to misinform the electorate.

"I was a senior member of the party when the NCP was banned from active
party politics in 1996 and I have suffered more than the party leader
himself as I was arrested, detained and taken to court, all because of the
UDP. But when I realised that the party is not genuine and its future is
uncertain, myself and other NCP politicians in the UDP decided to join the
APRC. This was because we were against Jawara's 30-year rule and we paid
the price. So for us to join hands with the same people we were opposing
for 30 years against the APRC will indeed be ironical".

He added that if the UDP bigwigs were deserting the party then "there is no
credible reason for its supporters to remain in the party".

"I know what is in the UDP and what the future holds for them. You have all
heard that Juwara is no more with them. I, Majanko Samusa and many strong
guys have all left. We join the APRC not because of personal benefits but
for the development of the country," he said.

The National Assembly member for Kiang East, Mahawa Cham, re-echoed Mr
Samusa's remarks and expressed optimism that the opposition was "on the
verge of dying in Kiang".

Other speakers included the chief of the area, Ansumana Sanneh.

UDP Kiang mobiliser defects to APRC

by Pa Malick Faye
in LRD

Demba Saho, the UDP mobiliser for Kiang yesterday defected to the ruling
APRC party at a mass political rally held by the APRC LRD Divisional
Committee under the aegis of the majority leader of the National Assembly,
Hon Baba Jobe.
Explaining his reason for defecting, Mr Saho said the APRC "is the only
party in the country that can bring development, peace and stability".
"The UDP," he said, "is not here to stay simply because of its coalition
with the PPP, a party which is already dead and buried.
"Everyone in Kiang knows how I stood up and campaigned for the UDP
especially in the LRD. But the party leader and other senior officials
betrayed us by giving us information which is untrue."
Mr Saho further stated that he had over 300 people behind him who have all
defected to the APRC because of "President Jammeh's development record. I
want to assure Honourable Jobe that opposition is dead in the whole of
Kiang as we are no more listening to Bakary Darboe and his cohorts".
For his part, the National Assembly member for Kiang, Mahawa Cham described
Mr Saho as "a strong man in politics and that his defection to the APRC
would act as a morale booster for the APRC in Kiang".
Several other speakers included NAMs Kalifa Kambi and Foday Lang Sarr.
The ceremony was attended by APRC supporters in the area.

In Musa Suso, Ndeneh Faal bail

--
There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see,
yet small enough to solve (Mike Leavitt)