GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 09:56:32 EDT
Gambia-L:
    Below is the statement of the Vice President on the massacre of UNARMED
students by her ARMED security forces. Reading this would only make you sick
to the stomach. those of you who don't have a strong stomach for LIES should
just DELETE. What does it profit you to gain Jammeh's favour only to lose
your soul? What has happened to conscience? Dammit........... And now, as
anticipated, the spin is that opposition parties were behind it all. See
attached below already they have begun arresting opposition figures. But
Gambia-L, this will be the story that is unspinnable as they are learning
much to their chagrin.
Hamjatta

VP Says Shooting Started From Demonstrators

In her first public statement since the bloody student demonstrations, Monday
and Tuesday, the vice president, Isatou Njie-Saidy, last night addressed the
nation. The full text of her speech is reproduced below.

Fellow Gambians,Following the unfortunate incident of last Monday in which
our school children led by Gamsu and other unscrupulous people in the society
decided to wreak havoc on the whole country, on behalf of His Excellency, The
President, Government and people of the Gambia, I wish to express our deepest
and heartfelt sympathy and condolence to the parents and families of the dead
and wounded. It is indeed very sad and regrettable that within a period of
three years, students have decided to go on the rampage for the fourth time
causing untold damage and loss of  property, and in this instance loss of
lives. Contrary to the erroneous belief that the shooting started from the
security forces on the ground, it is confirmed that in fact the shooting
started from within the demonstrators, since the security forces only had
blank ammunitions, tear gas, batons and shields at the time.I also wish to
assure you of Government's concern and primary duty to maintain the peace and
stability of the country in the interest and welfare of the entire
population, and for the development of The Gambia as nation.

It must be understood that a fundamental condition for development in any
country is that an atmosphere of security and stability is maintained by the
state. It is only when potential instability is checked and brought under
firm control, and the security environment has become stable, that
development programmes can be carried out and the general welfare of the
people ensured.You are all aware that within the last five years, this
government has invested substantially in education, health, agriculture and
other sectors of the economy. We are all living witnesses to the massive
expansion of educational infrastructure and services at all levels throughout
the country, including the establishment of a university for the first time,
where most of the students enjoy full scholarship. This has been made
possible through the support of both public and private institutions and
individuals, including the establishment of an Educational Trust Fund under
the Office of The President. The parastatal institutions, in particular the
Gambia Telecommunications Company Ltd. (Gamtel), have contributed immense
resources towards the education of a significant number of students at all
strata of the society. In fact the board of directors of Gamtel has recently
approved an increase of 40% on their education fund.Despite all this
sacrifice from Government and the parastatals, it is indeed very
disheartening that the students led by Gamsu and other unscrupulous people
have willfully carried out such massive destruction of useful facilities,
thus depriving everyone of their essential services.

Fellow Gambians,I wish to appeal to all, particularly community and religious
leaders during this period of grief and sorrow, to offer prayers for the
deceased and the speedy recovery of the injured. Let us also pray for peace
and reconciliation, and embark on a healing process to enhance our cherished
virtues of tolerance and peaceful co-existence that The Gambia has always
been renowned for. In the same vein, we wish to urge the media to engage in
objective reporting during this difficult and trying period.Finally, as
mentioned in our previous press release of Tuesday,  11 April 2000, the
unfortunate death of Ebrima Barry has been given all the attention and
urgency it deserves, by the department of state for Justice. Let me reiterate
that investigations have been completed, the suspects interrogated are
presently remanded in custody. The case has been registered in court and the
due process of the law will be observed.Once again, I wish to appeal to the
general public and Gambians in particular, to re-orientate our thinking and
behaviour towards patriotism and sense of belonging.

I thank you all for your (readership).

.

National Assembly member arrested
Buba Samura, the UDP National Assembly member for Kiang East, was arrested by
the police  early yesterday morning in Brikama.His arrest was said to have
been in connection with the student riots Monday.

Eyewitnesses said Mr Samura was arrested while on his way to Banjul. Our
sources said the vehicle which he was on board was followed by a motor
cyclist identified as a security agent around Gambia College. The driver of
the vehicle was instructed to drive back to Brikama police station with the
passengers.

Upon their arrival at the station, Mr Samura was ordered by the police to
alight.Sources close to the police intimated that Mr Samura was told by the
police that he was overheard commending the students for their actions and
saying that it was President Jammeh's misrule which had caused the riots.

Family members pointed out that all their efforts to see or speak to Mr
Samura bore nought. His younger brother, Omar Samura, told Daily Observer
that few hours after his arrest, he was taken from Brikama police station "to
where, we don't know."

Meanwhile, about 30 students were arrested in Brikama on Tuesday. A group of
parents told Daily Observer that they were denied access to see their
children in custody.

.

hkanteh