GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 13:03:00 GMT
Gambia-L:

Another e-mail from one of my sources in the Gambia.

Ebrima Ceesay

Ebrima,

The worst fears of decent and proud Gambians everywhere are about to
become reality; there is confirmation that Yahya Jammeh is also involved in
gun dealing. A Western diplomat friend of mine has just
confirmed to me that the facts collected so far by his Government
indicate that Yahya Jammeh, using his plane, is involved in the dealings and
trafficking of guns in the sub-region and perhaps beyond. According to this
diplomat, Jammeh is now regarded as number 3 in
the business behind President Blaise Campaore of Burkina Faso and
President Charles Taylor. Ebrima, Senegal's intelligence Officers are really
good. Because the Senegalese Government had a similar information and in
factleaked it to one of their newspapers, but I didn't take it seriously at
the time. No wonder, the Senegalese Intelligence has always maintained that
Yahya is supplying arms and ammunitions to the Cassamance rebels and the
Guinea Bissau army. Now, according to my diplomatic contacts, two other
associates of Yahya Jammeh have also been identified in the arms deals as
well: one is a prominent Gambian businessman and the other a Lebanese
entrepreneur. Both businessman carry Gambian diplomatic passport. Ebrima,
the illicit trade in arms and drugs in the sub-region continues to be a
major concern of Interpol. So Yahya better watch out! In fact, the United
States National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) is increasingly
concerned about the frequent runway lights blackouts at the Banjul
International Airport (BIA) during the suspected illicit trafficking in arms
and perhaps drugs. As you know, BIA is part of NASA's space craft recovery
network because it is in the flight path of space crafts blasting off from
Florida. The Federal Aviation Authority (FAA) is equally perturbed by recent
developments, including Baba Jobe's gun incident, resulting in the
with-holding of any decision to upgrade the security status of the airport
to allow for direct flights from Banjul to the US.

PS: On Dumo Saho and others being detained by the NIA, Judge Mam Yassin Sey
ruled or ordered yesterday that Dumo and others should be released
forthwith. She said their continued detention was illegal and
unconstitutional. So I hope the State will comply and release them.