GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Katim S. Touray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 00:45:36 -0700
Hi folks,

I'm going to try to keep this short, because I'm nursing a silly, and totally un-called for cold!  My nose is a mess!!

I'm writing to inform you that I will be removing myself from the management of Gambia-L, as soon as we work out a suitable transition.  My reasons for removing myself from Gambia-L management at this point are related to a number of issues, both personal, and institutional.  First, I am becoming increasingly busy these days (as if I can take anymore), and hence, I think I can no longer discharge my duties as a Gambia-L manager as effectively as is desirable.  I think it would not be fair to either give subscribers less than excellent customer service, or have other managers take up the slack, and do more of the administrative tasks involved in running Gambia-L.

My second reason for ending my role in Gambia-L deals with what I call, for lack of a better term, the institutional matter.  I would like to think that Gambia-L is almost becoming an institution, and for this reason deserves certain characteristics of those of them that healthy, prosperous, and functional. The first of these is that an institution should not depend on any one person.  Rather, an institution should exist and stand on it's own accord, and by virtue of services it renders it's constituency.  In this regard, I would like to see other people step up to the plate, and take their turn in running Gambia-L for the benefit of all of us.

I should say that running Gambia-L can be a challenging, engaging, and at the same time educating experience.  Besides the technology issues involved, there are also human-relations issues that can test one's temper, and tolerance.  I believe that the experience is of a value great enough that as many people, especially Gambians, as possible should be offered the opportunity to benefit from.  And the way to do that is for managers to be changed once in a while.

May I mention that I have been exchanging e-mail messages on the issue with other current, and former Gambia-L managers.  I have also contacted the person responsible for running the server at St. Johns' and so I believe we should be able to manage a smooth transition.  Speaking of which, I would like to say that I am leaving my departure open-ended for the simple reason that I would like to wait until a new team is firmly in place before totally taking myself off the list of managers.

I would also like to inform you that I suggested to other managers, and none objected, that Mr. Momodou Camara, one of the present list managers take over the lead role of running Gambia-L.  He has been onboard for a long time, and knows as much bout running the list, as most people would care to.  Furthermore, Mr. Camara has demonstrated an eagerness to not only learn, but also to also to help other people make the most of the list.  Please join me in wishing him a satisfying and successul run at the helm of Gambia-L.

Still along the lines of the transition, I would like to inform you that Gambia-L managers have also been discussing the issue of getting more managers, especially women, to help run the list.  At this point, I will leave it to Mr. Camara to work out whatever timetable he wants, or however he wants to go about it.  I will render him whatever assistance I can, as I'm sure other managers, and indeed subscribers, will to ensure a useful list.  Like I mentioned earlier, I will be on the list of managers until at such a time that Mr. Camara is able to put together a new and complete team.

Finally, I am yet to send you an update on my draft framework paper I posted a while back.  There have been a number of developments since then, and I sense that the Jammeh government might just be beginning to get it.  Despite this, I realize we are embarking on a long journey that I hope will lead us to a more peaceful, prosperous, and progressive Gambia with quality leadership, and of a free people.

By the way, it was a thrill listening to Halifa Sallah the other day, live on WBAI in New York City.  It was an interesting experience that demonstrated the incredible times we are now living in.  This, coupled with all the great news about strides being made by UDP, as well as reports of people being fed-up with the Jammeh government can only mean that good times lie ahead for our nation ...

Have a great week, and best wishes in your endeavors.

Katim
ps:  Now, wasn't that *short*, just like I said!