GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 09:58:26 +0100
Bakary

Well done, You have definitely made my day. I hate to
say it but it appears some of our comrades in the
opposition camp are trying to advocate for Jawara's
return as Presidential Candidate for the October
Elections. The truth of the matter is that the Old man
ruled ther Gambia for thirty years. Of those thirty
years, so much has happened. Rather than us focusing
on those brave Second Republician Politicians-the
Darboes, Jattas. Sallahs and the Bah, we seem to be
looking on to Jawara as a saviour for our redemption.
Moreover, most of us fail to realise that Jawara has
been absent from the scene for almost 7 years and  any
attempt to give him that mantle to lead the opposition
coalition would be suicidal. Believe me, Jawara is
seen by many as a moderate, but the reality is the
average Gambian believe that his return to politics
would be suicidal.
 The only suggestion for us now is to draw up a
strategy for coalition against Yahya Jammeh. I would
propose that the Coalition should be lead by someone
who played little or no part in the last PPP
government. This is my take, any other proposals, I am
happy to discuss.

Have a wonderful day.

Sanusi.

--- Bakary Kanteh <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > Dear
Compatriots,