GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Baboucarr Sarr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 16:40:45 +0100
Knowing fully well that not all diamond buyers equally care about where their jewelry comes from, the only beneficiaries from these controls would be those that would now be able to buy the conflict diamonds relatively cheaper. Given the high quality of the diamonds, speculators can afford to sit on them or sell through secret channels to bargain
hunters (particularly Asian). The net effect of this is a viscious circle i.e. Angolan and Sierra Leonean rebels and their agents intensify mining activities and make illicit diamonds more attractive for the dealers-cum-investors to buy or exchange for weapons and other supplies.