GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 12:28:37 -0400
Jobe, because I have a lot on my plate today, I will be very brief with you
and promise to respond in more detail over the weekend. Don't start thinking
that I do not take you seriously. It is just that I have more pressing
things to deal with.

I will first of all address where you said that I was misquoting you when I
said that you tried to absolve Yaya by saying that the security forces did
not act on Yaya's instructions. Here is a reproduction of the post you sent
us on April 18, 2001 which I was alluding to in my various mails: Kebba
Jobe: "I hereby submit that the brutality of some members of our security
forces is inherent in them and has NOTHING to do with Yahya giving THE
Order." Emphasis mine. You recognize this? This was a statement culled from
your piece entitled "The tragic events of April 2000." You are blaming
everyone for what happened EXCEPT Yaya. When I find time, I will comment on
the other issues you raised in that post in order to bolster your above
submission.

Secondly, unless you do not know what the word 'veer' means, I cannot see
how you want to wriggle out of your earlier concession that you deviated
from what Ebrima was saying and started discussing extraneous matters. You
even admitted again in this post that when you did not have anything to
refute in Ebrima's post, you decided to: "bring in OTHER ISSUES that I
[Kebba Jobe] considered relevant to Lers, you and Ebrima included." Emphasis
mine. You are herein admitting that you changed course (veered).

About the apportionment of blame for the Massacre, I am sorry if you cannot
follow a line of logical thought for an extended period of time. There is
very little I can do about that. I will endeavor to be very brief and
straight-forward with you this time so you can follow what I am trying to
say. There is no inconsistency in what I said. I said that ALL the parties
you mentioned HAVE TO be blamed. The degree to which they should be blamed,
is another topic that was not being exhaustively addressed in the post you
quoted. What I was addressing was Yaya's culpability and your attempt to
downplay Yaya's role. If you follow my postings you will realize that I
NEVER said that Yaya was solely responsible for this Massacre and the
ensuing lawlessness. Matter of fact, I even included characters like you
among the culprits.

I hope you get it straight that I am NOT absolving the 'trigger happy
animals' that acted on Yaya's order. However, in my opinion, Yaya is
guiltier than those animals. My point was that the Opposition should not be
lured by the likes of you to FOCUS on the 'trigger happy animals' or the
'NAMS'. Yaya is the bigger culprit here. More importantly, he is the one
that calls the shots and give the shoot-to-kill orders. So, I reiterate that
simple logic tells us to Focus on the bigger fish and deal with the small
fry in due course. I hope I made myself clear this time. You are ALL guilty.
It is just that Yaya is guiltier.

I hope after reading the above, it will also help you to understand my
stance vis-a-vis the parliamentarians and the Indemnity Decree. BOTH the
parliamentarians and Yaya are guilty. But again, since Yaya is the one
pulling the strings, he is guiltier in my book.

I will deal later with the gullibility you evinced by stating such
theoretical maxims about the source of remuneration and security of tenure
of APRC parliamentarians in order to show how independent these morons are
from Yaya. Jobe, I think you think you are dealing with ten-year-olds on
G_L. So the laws said that Yaya cannot remove the parliamentarians and
cannot change their remuneration. Do you read from that that these
parliamentarians are independent and do not have to toe the APRC line? Do
you read from that that Yaya is not pulling the strings? I will give you a
hint and remind you about what the law says about the removal of IEC
Commissioners. Did Yaya respect that law when he wanted to get rid of
Johnson? Jobe, your theories about what is in the books mean nothing to the
Dictatorship. Everyone with a functioning brain knows that if these APRC
parliamentarians go against Yaya's wish in parliament, they will be dealt
with severely. Again you just exhibited your naivete by pointing to these
theoretical checks and balances in order to rationalize what is going on in
the country. Get it in your thick skull that you are not dealing with a
Democracy. You have a Dictatorship back home. Yaya breaks our laws
willy-nilly. If you think the APRC parliamentarians have a genuine security
of tenure and remuneration, you must be on another planet. These people have
their lives on the line if they go against Yaya's wishes; we are not even
talking about the party dumping them as candidates.
KB