GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdoulaye Saine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 17:43:57 -0400
Karamba:

Your comments are appreciated and timely.  I would like to suggest, however, that
the Position Paper be seen as part of a larger package which also included the
petitions, letter writing campaigns, demonstrations and various conferences held
in the US and UK.  In the end, (by no means of our doing alone) we succeeded in
having (a) relatively "free and fair" elections; (b) the repeal of Decree 89; (3)
"more" relative access to government controlled media; (4) a relatively "united"
opposition with some funds, little as it was.  These were by no means unqualified
successes, but baby steps toward our goals.

The thinking that posits "winning everything or nothing," "do or die" may not be
useful or practical.  And as we all witnessed in The Gambia last week, politics
is messy, fitful, often violent and with few undisputed winners.  This is the
reality.  And short of an all out conflict, one shifts/changes strategies, finds
oneself in bed with strange fellows and in the end, cut deals and go home half
content.

Thanks for your perspective.

Abdoulaye