GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 06:12:28 EST
M'Lud Halifa,
    Allow me to first of all dwell on a very trifling issue; your plangent
lamentation that I shouldn't return the compliments of your invective orgy.
The degeneration of choice of words from your end and your calling of
restraint from my end is a tall order that is increasingly unmasking you as
the intellectual tyrant who when he doesn't get his way unleashes venom to
instil fear in others. So it is very rich of you to serve a stern lecture on
invectives when you were in that very piece it self calling me a thick head
and a charlatan. Most certainly, I have no wish whatsoever, to follow you
down that drain of vitriolic purgation. I hope you understand that you are a
public figure which dictates to you that you should operate under certain
decorum. Your latest tide of invective inventiveness is very unbecoming of a
man who is constantly in the public domain and seeks election to public
office. Halifa, you should be ashamed of yourself. I'm just a mere poor
student struggling with his grades; a nobody. A nonentity who is not the
public domain. In short it is you whose reputation is on the line. Need I
impute to you here that the things you say online here are being read by even
Gambians who are not online. Your outburst doesn't bother me in the least.
I'm not your average pigeon hearted person you like to intimidate with your
intellectual thuggery and endless puffery. You will find me a tough nut to
crack when it comes to that. All of the things I say to you online here I
will repeat to you on a face to face meeting. If you think I can bullied,
then you've knocked on the wrong door. Now I shall get to the point.
    Your last posting was for me the last nail in the coffin. The game is
over. When we started this, our questions/concerns were centred primarily on
your modesty when it comes to the Jammeh experience, your dubious position on
the so-called transition, the 1997 constitution and your pseudo scientific
investigation you claimed you carried out when Koro was slain. After endless
denials and haggling, you admitted that you had in fact changed strategy.
When again asked why the change in the face of such authoritarian tyranny?
You brought to the fore endless and convoluted dubious alibis, subterfuges
and self serving nonsenses. But eventually when push became pull, as Saul put
it to you, the Freudian Slip came. Naturally, as it sure will. In a posting
dated Mon. 14 Feb., entitled To Saul, you stated unequivocally although a bit
comically that:
<< those of us who neither had the
military might nor the support of a mass movement but were trying within our
capacity to utilise every tactic in the book to move the country towards a
state where political expression and association could be exercised without
risking immediate BANISHMENT...>> [My emphasis] BANISHMENT....... tut, tut,
tut! So all along it was about not risking the wrath powers that be, huh?
Your fear of jailhouse? But I thought you guys had already tasted that. What,
you suddenly chickened out just because the powers that be are philistines
without a shred of decency in them. But then are you not supposed to be that
'Jambarri Nin-nyi' who never sheds his 'Ngemba' for anything?  Hold it a sec,
guv are you not the same Halifa Sallah for whom death is a non-event in life;
who had tasted it all save death? What is a jail sentence when you speak up
against tyranny? My friend it you who has put himself on that pedestal and by
that you shall be judged.
    When Decree 4 first came out, you did what you always did in the past;
speak up against tyranny. And for that chivalrous deed, the powers that be,
hounded you up on trumped charges. You appeared in court and somehow got off
the hook. But what was meant for you to take the cue and harden your stance,
you did the contrary and turn about of the century. From against the current,
you became part of the current; resident intellectuals and insidiously
apologists for an order that is totally against the interest of the Gambian
people. So the military roughened you up a bit; gave you a taste of what is
in store for you should you tread on their feet. And you chickened out. From
a vociferous critics, you toned down your voices to low risk critics to avoid
BANISHMMENT. Tut, tut, tut, for the life in me I never thought pigeon hearted
would one day be applicable to you. But here we are, Halifa, so called
'Jambarri Nin-nyi' developing cold feet when he had to put up with real
adversity. A part of me really feels for you. Somehow, unlike Jawara, these
military people are known philistines. They don't play by the rules of
decency. Not only would they give you daily malnourished pap, they would
roughen you up when it comes to that. Ah! How can I forget the bedbugs,
cockroaches and the other undesirables of jailhouse? Hey are you not the same
Halifa Sallah who sleeps in huts with real people living wretched lives in
the provinces? Feeding on 'Findi' and trudging on muddy terrain daily to
reach the real people? Surviving on the paltry sum of D250 a month? So when
it came to testing your resolves and this larger than life Romantic picture
you paint of yourselves; saints and holier-than-thou missionaries not
interested in the comforts of the modern world [believe me there is no better
manifestation of this Romantic idyllic picture than Mile Two Prisons], you
chickened out? Just like that. So this Romanticised image of yours that you
had so subtly injected into the minds of the likes of me is a lifelong
charade, huh? Part of the ringing fallacies and bodies of contradiction that
is part of you? When it came to living it real life, you decided to chicken
out. You chickened out and decided that instead of languishing behind bars,
you would rather bootlick these new powers that be. A thing you are comically
calling "adopting new strategies." Put bluntly, BOOTLICKING TO AVOID
BANISHMENT [prison]. Sorry I have to deliver this in succinct bluntness. It
is the nature of things, Halifa.
    I shall give you a bright example of what a 'Jambarri Nin-nyi' looks
like. I'm sure you must have heard of a remarkable lady by the name of Aung
Suu Kyi. She is the thorn in the flesh of Burmese military dictatorship. This
woman has faced literally everything there is in the book of intimidation,
sacrifice, silent trauma and loneliness in pursuance of her lifelong
principles of freedom and equality for her trampled upon people. By
comparison what she had to face would make Jammeh and his men look pale
anytime. Be it barbarity or philstinism. Her husband even had to die in
London of cancer whilst she was busy with her struggles for decency for her
people. What in the modern day business of exaggerating metaphors, we would
call a living saint. Without going too far with her life portraiture, this
woman would not sacrifice her life principles because of the bleak prospects
of BANISHMENT!!!!!! And she is only a woman. Halifa, this type are the real
'Jambarri Nin-nyi,' who would never catch cold feet when confronted with the
real thing. And another thing, jailhouse, hunger strikes and house arrests
are part of her normal routines. If you really want this fraudulent pose of
yours to add up, look up her biography in the local library and learn a few
things from her. Or just take a few tips from. It would help resell the story
again after your exposure as a fraud. Better still, look closer home. Mandela
should serve as a brighter example for. Pitted against the most philistine
and barbaric regime in modern history, this man after 27 years has come out
it with more moral capital than he would ever need and most importantly,
achieving his lifelong goal of achieving freedom and equality for his down
trodden people. And this he did without squirming at the bleak prospects of
BANISHMENT!!! In short he never sacrificed his lifelong principles to achieve
what he had achieved.
    And now this shameful charade of yours that you are engaged in the
science of practical politics? When one looks/pores over your
records/postings over the past few months as I had done, it would not be
remiss of me to recommend you for the Chair of the Chichele Professor of
Social and Political Theory. If there are any real good pen pushers of the
highest pedigree around this end, Halifa, you come out first. Armed chair
theorists of the finest stocks. As someone once put it to you online here,
you are square pegs in a round hole. The difference is that you certainly
have a knack for acting like Cervantes' Don Quixote; living in an outworldly
world of your own drooling creation. The tragedy with pen pushers of your
kind is that, when they come out in the real world, after looking on from the
outside, rubbing their noses against the glasses of the world of reality,
they make Peter Pan look serious. Now this talk of yours that you were
uniting your political theory with practice. When it was first put to you
that had we rejected this flaw ridden constitution in a referendum, we would
easily go back to the drawing and do what we did with the timetable issue, a
very smart empirical and practical move embedded in the science of politics,
one would say, but you did what you know how to do best; throwing sand in the
eyes of people when they have something credible to say. You called this
alternative a charlatan's nostrum.  Indeed you wrote of it that:
<<In short, Hamjatta, taking your position that Gambians did not take the
overthrow of the Jammeh regime as an option, rejecting the draft
constitution would have meant waiting indefinitely for the AFPRC to deliver
a constitution which will water down the indemnity provisions and ensure its
negation and further make it easier for the them to be excluded from the
electoral process or be removed from power with greater ease. The fact that
you can rattle off such absurd expectations does not give the impression
that you have an ingenious way of looking at reality.>>
This shows your self serving intellectual dishonesty. On the timetable issue,
we didn't have to wait "indefinitely" for the right timetable to be drawn by
the NCC whose recommendations did smoothen up the political process then. Why
then are you peddling this self serving nonsense that we will have to wait
"indefinitely" to come up with the ideal constitution if we had voted
overwhelmingly 'no' during the referendum. Clearly this posture of yours is
not rooted in the science of practical politics that you claim has been your
guiding torch. Are you really sure "that you have an ingenious way of looking
at reality?" Another of your endless puffery?
    What I did find comical about you though was your buttoned up posture of
saying on one hand that a 'no' vote would mean elections without a
constitution and institutional frameworks that would be of necessity in the
second republic, whilst on the other hand maintaining that there is no way
you would vote for a constitution worse off than the 1970 one. Most comically