GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 08:13:03 +0100
Brother Abdoulie Jallow,

Many thanks for quickly responding to the enquiries I made. Judging from your earlier posting, which I find quite useful and inspiring, I should say that you and I are perhaps fellow travellers. That fact not withstanding, the very Gambian conditions that animate debate here may be  better treated when individuals advocating for change are understood as clearly as is possible. I felt that your declaration of neutrality need not necessarily refer to partisanship.

In fact, your two responses clearly indicate the relevance of my requests (not challenges). Since you are politically non-partisan, one should assume that you would subscribe to a creed whose political objectives, in the main, are not to be found in known Gambian political parties. So one is justified in requesting that you suggest what could be done; and in as much as you maintain that changes can be brought about only by a collective - which I naturally agree with - it still remains a fact that we cannot, as a collective, produce an idea simultaneoulsy on a relevant course of action. Someone has to think, or at least say it first? But there is another important and highly relevant twist to this question of what can be done:

I am of the opinion that Gambians are, generally speaking,  not at home in the field of action. We say so much but we do little; and so the consequences of our activities are only that much effective. At a personal level, that narrows down my choice of activity. Thus my enthusiam for ideas about what can be done from concerned citizens like yourself.
Once again, thank you for your time and I'm wishing you all the best.

Momodou S Sidibeh