GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
sulayman jobarteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 17:32:57 GMT
Thanks peter for your piece. Your points are sound and well made.

It always angers me when Yaya stands at that white elephant (arch 22) or
some other place to talk about detractors, instigators, etc being
responsible for the incidents of April 10 and 11. Yet no foreign element,
opposition member, non student, etc was arrested during or after the
incidents of April 10 and 11. Which instigators is he then talkking about.
Perhaps they came from mars and were intelligent enough to avoid arrest.
Such remarks point to two points: either that his security forces are
woefully inept or that the man could do with the services of a shrink.

Student leaders, when they met him after his return from that useless G99
summit, told him in no uncertain terms that the evnts were of their own
making. They further told him that any body who suggested other wise is
insulting the intelligence of the students. Every one heard this it was
broadcast over GRTS. Perhaps Fatou Harona Drammeh can remember the date.

If he has evidence of what he is claiming, let him go before the commission
and share his priviledged knowledge with  the relatives of the victims or
let him turn over the evidence to an independent prosecutor. Yaya has never
attempted to clear himself. I think he should be bold enough to tell the
gambian people that he did not order the shootings. If you cannot do that,
then you will do yourself a world of good to stop commenting about the
matter.

Thanks.

Sulayman Jobarteh