GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 22:13:41 GMT
Tombong,

We're on opposites sides politically, but if you're sincere about your views
on the umbrella org in the DC area, then I agree with you entirely. We share
the same sentiments. I BELIEVE we need an umbrella org not just in the DC
area, but one representing the entire Gambian community in the US. The main
stumbling block has to do with inflated egoes. Period. Any time you say
this, some people get offended, yet it's an open secret. If we all can
muster the courage to check our individual egoes for the common good, we'll
be able to easily pull it off. Otherwise, we'll continue to be marginalized
as a community, while we carelessly waste our enormous potential. But too
many of us are enamored with titles: "I'm founder of this," "I'm President
of that,..."

You've scored a point regarding Haddy Mundow. I had debated the wisdom of
narrating the story verbatim, but my desire to be forthright won over
caution. Most Gambians will call you a liar for saying things they don't
like. The more irrefutable evidence you provide, the less the chance of been
dragged into a petty argument. I'll see Haddy Mundow herself tomorrow night,
and will tell her what I said. Thanks for pointing it out.

Regarding, your reference to how we could help the Gambia in cases like the
massacre of last week, I'll pretend that I didn't read that from you. I
don't think you're being sincere about what you said. But because your piece
is very respectful, I won't take you to task. If you can keep up this type
of contributions without having to do the dirty job for Yaya Jammeh, you'll
be able to redeem something of whatever little reputation you had. Not a
very realistic proposal considering everything. But generally, I don't have
any serious problems with your piece. Have a good weekend.

Saul.