GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 2003 08:52:46 EST
6.Calls on the authorities of the Gambia to comply fully with their
obligations under national and international law and ensure respect for the
human
rights of all citizens, including members of the opposition; calls in
particular on
Parliament to avail itself of its constitutional prerogatives as legislator
and overseer of the executive branch to prevent human rights abuse in the
future and thus assume to the full its role as a guardian of human rights;
*********************

An endictment of the Gambia government and a reminder to Parliament of what
their role should be. I hope that the relatives of those students who were shot
down in April 2000, the relatives of Koro Ceesay and all the opposition party
members who have been and are currently being harssed should file a complaint
with the same body.
Infact, Amnesty International has also on my enquiry informed me of the
process to generate an international petition once they receive and have their
attorneys in London study a court file of any case we want to address. I can make
this information available to anyone who needs it, and our organizational
efforts should include helping victims to bring their cases to international
bodies such as this one.

Time will tell if the wanton dismissal of the usefulness of international
bodies that monitor and prosecute human rights abuses and the belittling of  the
efforts of those who work on holding this regime accountable for their crimes
that are  metted out by the sidekicks of this regime on this list will
vindicate them or their masters from being eventually answerable to the people.
Jabou Joh