GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 06:26:19 -0800
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 08:53:48 EST
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
Subject: [AfricaMatters] G8 Agenda

I recently recieved a copy of this e-mail from a friend and thought of
sharing it with you all for your information and action.

Desmond Alufohai
-------------------------------

Dear Friends,
Greetings from Geneva and the World Council of Churches!

We have just heard some worrying news from Japan about the agenda of the =
July G8 summit.  The Japanese Prime Minister has indicated the likely =
areas of discussion at the summit - information technology, development, =
health, culture, trans-border crimes, ageing societies and conflict =
prevention...

... BUT NOT DEBT!!!

Given the worldwide level of concern about debt in this millennium year, =
it would be a scandal if it was not even discussed by the G8!  The deal =
announced by the G8 last year at Cologne was good, but more debt cancellati=
on is needed, and more countries need to be included in the deal.

We need to make our views known about this now.  While the Japanese, as =
hosts, have the most significant influence on the agenda, all the G8 =
leaders should be announcing their support for a substantial discussion on =
debt at the July summit.

PLEASE SEND AS MANY E-MAILS AS YOU CAN TO THE G8 LEADERS (addresses =
below).

Points to make:
- you have heard that poor countries' debt is not yet on the agenda for =
discussion at the G8 summit in Okinawa, Japan in July.

- cancellation of poor countries' debts should be their top priority in =
this millennium year  - it is their last chance to respond to the Jubilee =
2000 campaign which is supported by millions of people worldwide.

- ask them to make a statement indicating their support for a new debt =
cancellation deal to be discussed at Okinawa.

- and ... (for the non-Japanese) ask them to contact Mr Obuchi and tell =
him to put debt onto the agenda.
... (for Japan) ask him to make sure debt is the leading agenda item for =
discussion in Okinawa.

The sooner you can send your e-mails the better.  They should definitely =
be sent before the end of April.  And how about forwarding this message to =
everyone in your e-mail address book (especially contacts in other G8 =
countries)?

UK - Prime Minister Tony Blair does not have an e-mail address, but we =
suggest you contact Chancellor Gordon Brown at the Treasury e-mail =
[log in to unmask]  You could also post a copy of your =
email to Tony Blair at 10, Downing Street, London SW1A 2AA.

Japan - Prime Minister Keizo Obuchi: visit <www.iijnet.or.jp/sorifu/kantei/=
foreign/comment.html> to send your message.

Canada - Prime Minister Jean Chretien e-mail <[log in to unmask]>

France - President Jacques Chirac: visit <www.elysee.fr/mel/mel_.htm> to =
send your message.

Germany - Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder: visit <www.bundesregierung.de/inlan=
d/.bin/pbamaild?10> to send your message

USA - President Bill Clinton e-mail: <[log in to unmask]>

Russia - President Vladimir Putin e-mail: <[log in to unmask]>=20

Unfortunately we haven't got e-mail addresses for Italy.

We received this information from Christian Aid in England and are happy =
to pass it on to all of you encouraging you to respond and to forward it =
to your networks.

If you do not want to receive messages like this in the future please let =
me know and you e-mail address will be deleted from our address list.

With best regards,

Freddy Knutsen
Executive Secretary
WCC Youth

To the extent possible, please keep postings concise. Our archives are at : http://www.egroups.com/group/us-afr-network .  To Post a message, send it to [log in to unmask] .  Tell others to subscribe by sending a blank message to [log in to unmask] .  To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: [log in to unmask]

http://click.egroups.com/1/2377/7/_/192352/_/954165256/

-- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=us-afr-network&m=1