GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 03:25:19 +0200
Relatives Express Concern For Detainees
The Daily Observer
July 10, 2000
by Kalifa Sanyang and Sheriff Bojang

Banjul - The families of two men suspected to have been detained recently by security forces, have called on the detaining authorities to release them now.

Bakary Jaiteh, 24, brother to President Jammeh's former aide-de-camp, Lieutenant Lalo Jaiteh, yesterday afternoon telephoned the Daily Observer from the United States of America, where he had been resident for the past seven months, and expressed his concern about the whereabouts and condition of his brother.

Lalo was redeployed to the army headquarters in Banjul shortly before his arrest and detention at an unknown location about three weeks ago, together with some other security officers.

No official reason has been advanced for the arrests.

However, Lalo's brother, Bakary, said reports reaching the United States through the internet indicate that "the former ADC was suspected to have been involved in a plot to topple President Jammeh with Alagie Kanteh, former commissioner of North Bank Division," who fled the country late last month after he was removed from his post. Alagie Kanteh is married to Lalo's sister.

"I spoke with Lalo the day before his arrest and I understand he was picked up late at night by five men suspected to be military or National Intelligence Agency personnel. Since then, no member of the family knows his whereabouts. It should be understood that Lalo has a large family to sustain economically and the kids are going to school as well. Nobody has access to his money, so, the little I am able to gather here in America, is all going out to the family and I have to go to school. Can you imagine the situation? In fact, I do not know my own fate in America now," Bakary said.

Meanwhile, Annika Renberg, the Swedish wife to Modou (Dumo) Sarho, has said that 15 days since his husband was abducted, his whereabouts have not been known.

Annika said her husband was abducted by three men in an ash-coloured BMW with registration number plate, BJL 3716-A.

"Even though the identity of one of the abductors is known and the registration number of the abductors' vehicle known, the police couldn't tell us anything about his whereabouts up to last Friday when I went to the Criminal Investigations Division. Hawa Sisay-Sabally (lawyer) has also written to them on the 28 of June inquiring the whereabouts of Modou but they have not replied her. The police said they have no clue where he is. Now, I've been to Emmanuel Joof (human rights lawyer) with Modou's mother, and he has prepared an affidavit which he is expected to take to the High Court Monday (today) to ask a judge to order Modou's immediate release," Annika explained.

Modou Sarho's MOJA-G comrade, Ousman Manjang, said, "Surely, it cannot be impossible for the authorities concerned to give information on Dumo's whereabouts. Refraining from giving such information only goes to add to the fears of citizens that the concerned authorities are not going by the books and that there are some cracks in the country's rule of law."

Mr. Manjang, who runs the NGO, Gambians for Self-Employment (Gamsem), urged the authorities to "immediately inform Mr. Sarho' family about the reason for his abduction and detention, his place of detention, any possible charges he is facing or else to release him now."