GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 2006 09:06:19 +0100
*Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue*

*Issue No. 9/2006, 6-8 February, 2006*
*Editorial* THE PRESIDENTSHOULD PIONEER PRISON REFORM

The executive has been empowered by the constitution to protect social
harmony in the country. Crime can undermine social harmony. To protect
society from crime courts are established to determine guilt and ensure
proper dispensation of justice. Fines and imprisonment are means to punish
persons who have been found guilty. Imprisonment means deprivation of ones
freedom of movement, association and most of the other rights of a citizen.
However, it goes with responsibility and cost for the state. In short, when
the state detains a sick person it has its duty to provide hospital
treatment and proper diet to ensure that they are not killed by official
neglect. Needless to say, the state is duty bound to feed the prisons and
provide them with proper sanitation. This involves cost to the taxpayer.
This is precisely why many developing countries are looking at alternatives
to imprisonment. Many countries in the world have transformed prisons into
correctional institutions and have restricted custodial sentences only to
those who need to be assisted to reform their behaviour. Once they show
signs of reform they are pardoned.

The constitution of the Gambia recognises this fact. This is why section 82
of the constitution provides for prerogative of mercy. It reads "The
President may, after consulting the Committee established by subsection (2)-

(a)        grant to any person convicted of any offence a pardon either free
or subject to lawful conditions;

(b)        grant to any person a respite, either indefinite or for a
specified period, of the execution of any punishment imposed on that person
for any offence;

(c)            substitute a less severe form of punishment for any
punishment imposed on any person for any offence;

(d)        remit the whole or any part of any punishment imposed on any
person for such an offence or any penalty otherwise due to the State on
account of any offence.

The constitution did not only give the President powers to pardon it
established a provision for advisers. Section 82, subsection (2) reads
"There shall be a Committee on the exercise of the prerogative of mercy
consisting of the Attorney General and three other persons appointed by the
President subject to confirmation by the National Assembly.

As news spread of 9 prisoners dying in the month of January alone there is
need for the President to revisit his powers to grant pardon. There are many
prisoners who do not need rehabilitation and do not deserve custodial
sentence.

The Attorney General should ensure that the committee on the exercise of
prerogative of mercy becomes active. More deaths are unacceptable when
reforms can be initiated to save lives.

The budget for the prisons department rose from 6 million in 2004 to 13
million in 2005. Now it has been reduced to 10 million. Food and food
services for the prisons department rose from 5 million in 2004 to 6 million
in 2005. The amount this year is 4.6 million. It is absolutely essential for
the president to look into the state of our prisons. Some people are
detained in maximum security confinement cells who are not even charged with
a crime.

He can ask the Secretary of State for Interior to contact the editors of
FOROYAA for names. Immediate action should be taken to address the issue of
prison reform. Any hesitation will be a second too late to act.

Export Price For Nuts D17, 500 – D18, 200 *"An Overhead Of D10, 000 As
Expenditure/Profit"*

* By Surakata Danso *

A reliable source from a groundnut marketing company, has informed this
reporter that the export price for decorticated groundnuts is D17, 500 –
D18, 200 (the equivalent of 625 – 650 dollars). The disclosure was made to
this reporter following an indication by a stakeholder that the producer
price of D7, 500 is a loss for marketing companies.

The source added that the said export price is payable at our port level
following the shipment of a full container. When asked if this is the
highest price, the sources went further to say that the price does not
include C.I.F, which is higher. It does not include the H.P.S variety and
F.A.Q broken and premature seeds. He finally dismissed the view that given
the producer price this year marketing companies will not make losses.

*PARTIES SIGN MOU*

The Alliance for Patriotic Reorientation and Construction (APRC), the
National Alliance for Democracy and Development (NADD) and the National
Convention Party, (NCP) today signed a Memorandum of Understanding, thereby
paving the way for civility in politics. Yankuba Touray, the APRC National
Mobiliser signed on behalf of the APRC, Halifa Sallah signed on behalf of
NADD and Sheriff Mustapha Dibba signed on behalf of NCP.

The Memorandum of Understanding is geared to facilitate a peaceful and
stable political environment, underpinned by a transparent, plural and
democratic political dispensation.

Signatories to the MOU have therefore committed themselves to a code of
conduct alongside that of IEC, to guide their activities in general and
their conduct in the lead up to the 2006 presidential elections in
particular.

The code of conduct include compliance with the constitution and other laws,
respect for the life of political parties to campaign freely and to
disseminate their political ideas and principles without fear, respect for
freedom of speech, of the press, of assembly and of peaceful demonstration
provided permit is obtained; avoiding the use of inflammatory or defamatory
language, desisting from threatening or inciting violence, not seeking in
any way to influence or use other arms of government for political purposes,
refraining from using civil servants and government resources for campaign
purposes, etc. the MOU makes provision  for an inter-party committee. See
next issue for a full text of the MOU.

The Nigerian President, Olusegun Obasanjo, who chaired both the talks and
the signing ceremony, in his remarks cautioned that violence begets violence
and urged all parties to relentlessly follow the MOU. He also urged them to
ensure that their supporters know what it contains. He emphasized that a
distinction must be drawn between national interest and partisan interest
and noted that national interest must supercede partisan interest.

In his remarks at the closing ceremony, President Jammeh stated that he has
been a man of peace and will always be a man of peace. He then noted that
the first ingredient of peace is mutual respect, including respect for
divergent views. He emphasized that the country is bigger than any party
adding that both the ruling party and the opposition have a role to play.

He cautioned that signing the MOU is one thing, but upholding it is another.
He made a vow and promised that nothing will make him change that, and that
he will not incite or instigate violence. He said to further demonstrate his
goodwill; the state would drop charges against members of the opposition. "I
have nothing personal against them," he added.

In his remarks, Halifa Sallah noted that this day is a memorable day, noting
that the two presidents have made history. He pointed out that the MOU is
not about the opposition, but about the Gambia people that they serve. He
noted that politicians must develop a climate of respectability in pursuing
their objectives. He emphasized that the contents of the MOU must be written
in our minds and conscience, noting that there must be goodwill. He said he
sees the MOU as a means of solving problems between parties amicably.

He thanked President Obasanjo for his initiative and effort and assured him
they will not make him ashamed for not abiding by the dictates of their
conscience and the national interest.

The IEC Chairman, in his remarks said that he was thrilled and excited by
what he saw. He noted that the Gambia is a peaceful county, pointing out to
the peaceful interaction between the ruling party and the opposition during
the talks.

The APRC delegation included Vice President, Isatou Njie-Saidy, Secretary of
State for Agriculture and APRC Mobiliser, Yankuba Touray, Fatoumata Jahumpa
Ceesay, Tombong Jatta and Adama Cham. The NADD delegation included NADD
Chairperson, Assan Musa Camara, NADD Coordinator, Halifa Salah, Ousainou
Darboe, Hamat Bah, Omar Jallow, Waa Juwara and Sam Sarr. The IEC Chairman,
Mr. Ndondi Njie and the Speaker of the National Assembly, Mr. Sheriff
Mustapha Dibba, were also present during the talks. President Jammeh later
joined the talks, which went on smoothly.

*Lamin Alkalo Warns Landlords*

*By Fabakary Ceesay*

The Alkalo of Lamin, Kombo North, Mr. Mbemba Bojang, has warned plot owners
to develop their plots before the end of May 2006, or else they will lose
their properties.  He made these remarks in an interview with this paper in
his residence in Lamin. According to him, most plot owners acquired those
plots since the tenure of his elder brother, that is, 15 years ago. "We sold
them the plots so that our village would become a town, but nobody seems to
care after they acquired the plots. They don't even care to fence them. The
people use them as dump sites. Snakes and other reptiles also use them as
hideouts. Worst of all, most fire outbreaks start from these empty plots.
which are at the centre of our community. We cannot tolerate that," he said.

When asked which landlords will be affected, whether those with an Alkalo
certificates or those with leaseholds, he said, "As far as you have a plot
of land in Lamin and it is not developed, you will be included, rich or
poor." He was then asked what he would do with the seized plots of land. He
said, "they will be resold but with a concrete agreement that they will be
developed within 18 to 24 months. If the plot owner fails to cooperate the
plot will be seized again. I then asked him who authorized him to seize
people's plots. His response was "I am seeking the authority of the
department of lands through the Brikama Area Council and I am sure their
response will be positive because the council understands the problems those
empty plots are giving to the residents of the village."

KEMESENG ON THE BUDGET SPEECH

In his reaction to the 2006 budget speech, the National Assembly Member for
Jarra West, Hon. Kemeseng Jammeh, started by making reference to paragraph
one of the budget speech, delivered by the Secretary of State for Finance
and Economic Affairs, Hon. Bala Musa Gaye. Hon. Jammeh said that paragraph
one of the speech state: "The primary objective of the 2006 budget is to
improve public expenditure management, boost domestic revenues, sustain
macroeconomic stability, reduce poverty and lay a solid foundation for a new
poverty Reduction and Growth Facility Program. (PRGF), with the
International Monetary Fund (IMF), which will enable The Gambia, reach the
HIPC Initiative completion point." Hon. Jammeh argued that if one looks at
this sentence properly, one will tend to be somewhat confused, as regard our
attitude towards the issue of poverty. He pointed out that our aim is to
reduce poverty but instead, we are aggravating poverty. He asserted that
there is some element of paradox in this because the income of the people
has not been increased in any way. Hon. Jammeh indicated that salaries have
not been increased and that the producer price of groundnuts has reduced
this year. In light of this, Hon. Jammeh said that taxes have been
increased, which means, in reality, that we are not reducing poverty;
instead we are escalating it. He argued that if we are serious about
reducing the poverty of the people, we should enhance their earning capacity
instead of contracting it; that the enhancement of the earning capacity of
the people has not been done and that is why, according to him this year is
going to be a difficult year for the ordinary citizen. Instead of poverty
reduction, it would be poverty aggravation.

On Inflation

Hon. Jammeh indicated that the Secretary of State has told them in paragraph
two that "Although our economy has faced certain difficulties in recent
years, Government has taken firm measures to tackle these difficulties and
has already made significant progress in improving the economy by reducing
inflation and interest rates and stabilizing the exchange rate; that
inflation has fallen from 8 percent at the end of 2004 to 1.1 pr cent as of
end September the same year." Hon. Jammeh argued that these date given by
the Secretary of State regarding inflation, does not reflect the reality on
the ground. He indicated that from the point of view of the people, if
inflation has drastically fallen from 8 per cent to 1.1 per cent, then this
should be reflected in the price of the commodities, but this has not been
the case. "I can't understand how inflation has drastically fallen from 8
per cent to 1.1 per cent when prices are still going up," he said.

On budgetary allocations

Hon. Jammeh pointed out that the Secretary of State has indicated in
paragraph 6 of his budget speech: "Furthermore, because of the debt burden,
Government will devote more than a third of the GLF budget to paying the
interest on the Government debt, while personnel costs will consume a
quarter of the GLF budget. Consequently, the budgetary resources available
for Departmental Discretionary Expenditures will be severely constrained in
2006, and in most cases, budgetary allocations will be lower than those in
the 20005 Budget Estimates." This, Hon Jammeh said, would also worsen the
situation because most of these sectors had some weaknesses last year and if
their allocations are drastically reduced, it would have adverse effects on
the people.

On the Domestic Economy

Hon. Jammeh asserted that the Secretary of State for Finance has indicated
this in paragraph ten of his budget: "The Agricultural industry is expected
to grow by 8.27 per cent, resulting mainly from increase in crop production.
Groundnut production is estimated to grow by 18.0 per cent, while the other
crops, mainly cereals are estimated to grow by about 5.0 per cent over their
production levels of 2004." Hon. Jammeh pointed out that groundnut is the
major foreign exchange earner of the country. He said that there has been an
increase in groundnut production but that it is very unfortunate that the
increase in groundnut production does not lead to an increase in foreign
exchange earnings. Hon. Jammeh indicated that if there has been an
improvement in the groundnut sub sector, it would have gone a long way in
enhancing the foreign exchange earnings of the country. But that this
sector, Hon. Jammeh said, is getting worse every year because we cannot even
provide markets for the marketing of this particular crop. He stressed that
we have to do something about this problem of marketing groundnuts otherwise
we will continue to escalate poverty because the majority of farmers depend
on the cultivation of groundnuts.

*"FOREIGN AID CANNOT DEVELOP OUR COUNTRY"*

*Says Demba Jallow*

*By Bubacarr K. Sowe*

Demba A. Jallow, the programme officer of the National Council for Civil
Education (NCCE) has opined that "the only way to construct a prosperous
Gambia is through self reliance.

Mr. Jallow made this statement recently at Nusrat Senior Secondary School
while presenting a paper on the role of youths in national development, at a
social forum organised by the Alliance for Democracy and Development.
According to him, foreign aid is not the only window of development, "but
rather, with every citizen there should be the spirit for development,
determination, love of work, education, discipline and innovation."

He added: "Youths have to be very proactive at all levels of society by
organizing themselves to articulate solutions to the many social problems
that confront us as a nation, and make practical contributions to the
community and national development. There are many young men and women
roaming the streets. They are idle but able, and can make themselves more
useful citizens of their beloved country."

"Youths should take a lead in fulfilling their patriotic roles in
confronting and combating the social ills that afflict our country, such as
national indiscipline, corruption and environmental conditions that may not
give a good image to our country, as well as spearheading development at all
levels," Mr. Jallow argued.

He posited that the priceless resource of any country is human power. "There
is no other resource that can match the human being, so long as it is humans
who are the source of any other natural resources." He explains that the
clear witness to this perspective is the very fact that many countries
reached utmost development with limited resources, while many others
couldn't keep pace with the march towards development even though they have
plenty of resources unexploited."

*THE ARREST OF PEOPLE DURING AND AFTER ELECTIONS*

In his contribution to the Adjournment Debate at the National Assembly, the
National Assembly Member for Wuli West, Hon Sidia Jatta, pointed out that
the fundamental rights and freedoms guaranteed to the people by the
Republican Constitution, is always negated in the process of electioneering
and in the aftermath of election in this country. "During Campaign, people
are arrested for no reason, simply because they have a different political
view. And in the aftermath of elections, whether you lose or you win, there
is terrible victimization of anybody who shares your view. Simply because
somebody shared my view, that person is victimized. People are treated as if
they are mashers in the Gambia. They have no right, they have no freedom. We
are still dealing with people who are being victimized in the aftermath of
elections. Some are still reporting at police stations; some at courts, in
my constituency (Wuli West), in Jarra West and in Upper Saloum. Why? Simply
because they happen to share a different political view and the constitution
is very clear. Every citizen of this republic has the right to form a party
or to belong to any political party of his/her choice. This is not
recognized! People don't want to tolerate that! They accept the fact that
they belong to political parties but they question somebody's ardent right
to belong to a political party of his/her choice. This is contrary to the
fundamental rights vested of our constitution. And we, National Assembly
Members, it is our responsibility to make our people understand their
fundamental rights and freedom. "Waalaa." It is our responsibility! They
must understand them otherwise, they will never, ever exercise their
sovereign rights of electing those people to whom, they would entrust the
responsibility of managing the affairs of this country on their behalf;
managing the resources of this country which they (the people) produced on
their behalf. People must exercise that responsibility; otherwise it will
never be in their interest. They would be intimidated and they would be
instilled with fear to a point that they forget that they are Gambians and
are as sovereign as anybody in the country. I think we have a role to do
that!!!