GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
WILLIAM NJIE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 11:56:13 -0700
Goodness! Where do they find the likes of you,
Ambassador? You want us to be greatful for you doing
your freaking job? Like Yusupha said, your timing
can't be more off. You chose a time of grief to tell
us what you are doing for the Gambian students. If we
could trade those material  things for the lives of
the students, we will. I understand you're trying to
defend yourself from the accusations, but for crying
out loud, shove the material  things.

I do not condemn anyone for accepting a position with
the current governmnent but you have to be ready to
share the blame if shit hits the fan. Personally, my
conscience will not allow me to work in an environment
that goes against my principles, but hey, that is just
me.

I am sick and tired of hearing Yaya referring to the
country as "his"; sick and tired of the likes of you
expect us to be greatful for doing your jobs; sick and
tired of the govt. servants (especially the police,
military, fire) act as if they don't work for the tax
payers but for Yaya; sick and tired of the lack of
accountability from the government; sick and tired of
the human right violations, which usually goes
unpurnished; and frankly just freaking sick and tired.
Reality check, you, Yaya and everyone that earns their
paychecks from the tax payers, are just hired help.
You work for the people.

I do not know you, so I will not judge you, but as
long as you continue to hold that position and any
other Govt. position, you should be ready to take the
heat especially if you're ready to defend the actions
of the regime. I guess the military, police, and fire
are not under the government anymore, or do you think
we are just plain stupid. Unless the students had guns
shooting at innocent unarmed people, (which from what
I have been reading they did  not) I want to hear
anyone try to justify what happened on Monday.

If you cannot provide us answers, don't try to shift
the blame, especially not to the students.

William.

--- Essa Sey <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Your "excellency" Bokarr Sey, it is absolutely
> shocking and sad that you have
> chosen this moment to further your government's
> cause. As an official
> representative of the Gambia govt, you should have
> joined all of us in
> condemning what happened today. Instead you chose to
> represent yourself and
> govt by using half truths and half baked statements.
>
> In your attempt to dissociate the regime from
> today's tragic incident you
> state:
> I want to put it you personally that there is no one
> amongst us serving under
> Jammeh and Jammeh himself who would be so
> irresponsible to order the massacre
> of students
> Unquote

> whether the top military
> commanders in the GNA do not serve under Jammeh?
> Unless the military chain
> of command has completely crumbled, your statement,
> coming from the Gambian
> Ambassador to France, should be considered as a
> shameful attempt to cover the
> truth.
>
> In your continuing bumbled attempt to defend I don't
> know what, you state:
> I want those of you whirling accusations to know
> that some of those students
> who lost their lives are closely related to people
> working under Jammeh.Some
> are related to Jammeh himself. Did you know that?
> Unquote
>
> This statement is not relevant in relation to what
> happened today. As far as
> most of us are concerned, all that counts is that
> innocent students were
> killed today. I even doubt the validity of the
> statement you made since
> there is no evidence to support your claims.
>
> Unfortunately, you have chosen this time to defend
> your regime. But history

 Mr. Jow and co.

>                      My choice was carefully
> calculated and i am equally shocked by the way i see
> some of you try to "forcefully" put people into
> positions that simple logic repells.There is no
> shame in trying to remind brothers and sisters to
> jointly see the issue at hand as a national
> tragedy,after all.However, you reserve the right to
> interprete my wriring as you wish.
>
> The same deliberate and subjective judgements are
> raining on me now,this was obviously what i
> expected.Mr Jow i am in no way trying to exonerate
> any person or regime.My point is simple and straight
> forward and i maintain it.One of the children who
> died is my relative believe me or not thats your
> opinion and you have the right to either reject or
> accept what i say.
>
> Mr Jow please note that i practicalise my support
> for those poor students by lobbying for support from
> all quarters.A ontainer full of  chairs,exercise
> books,wheel chairs etc that has been loaded from a
> city called Dieppe in France is on the to the
> Gambia.I collaborated with Alhaji soriba Gassama(the
> former president of the supreme islamic council) to
> get those materials transported to schools and
> clinics in the Gambia.
>
> Thats only to let you know a bit of what i am doing
> for students in the Gambia.You can call soriba
> Gassama to find out.Part of my priorities as
> Ambassador is to do a ot for our school children.One
> of the dossiers on my desk now is to look into the
> possibilties for vocational training in favour of
> Gambians in the canary islands.This is just to let
> you know that your attempts to deliberately say
> that i am not on  the side of the students is FALSE
> and intended to politicise the situation.
>
> My father was a teacher and died a teacher like
> yours and both of them we should pray for to rest in
> peace.So Mr Jow my position is not to apply
> cosmetics but is rather intended to let you feel
> that no one in the Gvt.will enjoy seeing students
> being killed please lets argue reasonably.
>
> My intention is not to be playing a merry go-round
> game with anyone on the forum,however, my believe is
> that there is no shame as Ambassador to exchange
> views with anyone on  such important issues.
>
>                         Essa Bokarr SEY.

> has been the best judge of tyrants and their
> coconspirators. Time will tell!
>

> Yus

> postings, go to the Gambia-L
> Web interface at: