GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
TOMBONG SAIDY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 15:39:11 PDT
Mr. Makaveli & Jabou,

Either you are too drunk with hatred to think properly or you are in the
wrong forum/list. List managers should remind the lady and gentleman that
this forum does not belong to any particular group or faction, be they pro
or anti Jammeh. This is a democratic forum where all views could be heard
and expressed - where we should agree to disagree. You can check with the
managers on how long I have been a member of this list, may be that will
tell you what type of person I am. I am not a quitter and I will be a thorn
on your sides for a long time. If you cannot stand the heat, you might as
well get out of the kitchen.

On a more general note, we all have our different views and political
affiliations and despite our differences, we should respect each other. We
should not allow our differences or divergence of views to blind or cloud
our judgement and thinking process. Let's debate the issues.

Sometimes I am surprise how your hatred of Jammeh can cloud your judgements.
One case in point is a posting that states that the Gambia government is
asking for the repatriation of GAMSU members from Senegal. How many of you,
questioned the validity of this statement? Have some GAMSU members really
fled to Senegal? If the answer is yes, has the Government made any request
for their extradition to The Gambia? Very few bordered to find out whether
this was true or not.

By the way, all the students that were arrested in relation to the April
10th and 11th incident have been release except 6 of them. I will get you
names of these six. However, there are still some non-students still in
detention and these are those who were arrested because they were engaged in
some criminal activities during the demonstration.

Schools will be open April 8th 2000. Schools were supposed to close Friday,
14 April and open 8 April for the Easter Holiday, however they closed
earlier.

This is a difficult period for all Gambains regardless of one's political
inclinations and as we through this healing period, lets endeavour to avoid
such an incident in the future. By next week the Commission of Enquiry will
be set up and it will begin the process of searching for the truth.

Happy Good Friday to all and Happy Easter as well. Some of you will miss the
"NAN MBURU".

PEACE

TOMBONG