GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 23:44:50 +0100
If that argument were to win the day, it would probably mean that after adopting a multi-party constitution, we write off presidential terms served under the Movement system and start afresh!

This would be a situation similar to what obtained in 1996. During the making of the 1995 Constitution we wrote off the ten years (two terms) Museveni had already served (since 1986) and gave him a "first" term.

That was, technically speaking, a "third" term. So in technical terms, the President is serving his "fourth" term since 1986!

But just as the new Constitution meant a fresh start in 1996, and we ignored the two previous terms, similarly, movementists might want to argue that when the Constitution amendments come to pass, they will signal a new beginning and Museveni can then stand for his "first" term under the new order!