GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 15:24:38 EST
Essa,

I will defend your right as well as the right of every Gambian to have their
voice heard, and I will stand by that simply because we are fighting for
democracy and not represseion and only in protecting the rights of all, even those
who have sided with the enemies of the people can we secure our own. In this
light, I think you are free to let the Gambian people know that you do
recognize that the regime you were serving was a tyrannical one that engages in a lot
of illegal activity, some of which you have begun to detail here, and that
those who were or are serving them were well aware of this fact and had just
looked the other way. If such persons have information  that may be helpful in
our fight against tyranny and now watn to offer it in sincerety, this si a
simple process.
I will also stand by my earlier statement that your offer to coordinate the
gathering of information from victims of tyranny by any organization or
individual does not have to be conducted under clandestine circumstances, and I will
further add now that infact, your coordination of this process by the
solicitation of information from victims of the regime is not necessary and that  the
metood you have suggested does give the impression of lack of transparency
whether intended or not.

 There are numerous ways that victims of this regime are getting their story
out of that country despite the heavy hand on them. Journalists are relaying
them and the testament to that is the various forms of harassment they are
subject to for reporting the news like it is. Individual Gambians are sending out
information and the APRC regime cannot stop this from happening unless they
shut down all forms of communication in and out of the country.

If you want to help reveal the atrocities of this regime which you have been
a part of, and whatever the motivation, whether personal or due to an eventual
 realization that they are the enemies of the people and not their
protectors, the way to accomplish this is not to solicit Gambians to send information to
unknown sources which is a dangerous proposal regardlesss of the stated
intentions and reasons. I believe that having been part and parcel of the APRC
machinery, and having served in an ambassadorial capacity, there are no doubt a
lot of information that you can provide if you choose to, and it would then be
up to courts of law to determine the value of such information when the time
comes.
In this light, may I suggest that you offer to render any valuable
information along with documentation that you can provide, and if this is the case, you
can be directed to people who can collect this information. This method, in
addition to the fact that you have implied in your writings that there are
certain international financial regulatory agencies that you can provide with
useful information about apparently illegal activities of the regime, should be
quite sufficient.
At any rate, my opinion is that  having people send information to the
sources you have suggested in the manner suggested should not be acceptable by any
means.

Sincerely stated.
Jabou Joh