GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 22:39:34 +0100
Well, according to a friend, the whole saga stems from Adama Deen's 'firing'
by none other than Baba Jobe. According to the story, Baba had walked into
Deen's office announcing that a consignment of goods of his were due to
arrive shortly, demanding that he needed to have them offloaded forthwith.
Adama is reported to have replied that he, Baba Jobe could not expect such
prerogative since he had unsettled bills with GPA; that the outstanding
bills had to be settled before any more services will be rendered to his
company.

Baba Jobe is said to have been so furious that he started to threaten Adama
with dismissal and all other sorts of things. Adama meanwhile is said to
have countered that he was just doing his job according to its directives
and that if he was to lose the job just for doing it right so be it.

Baba Jobe is then said to have left Deen's office only to return hours later
with an 'order' for Adama to vacate the office. He was also said to have the
name of Adama's replacement. This, I learnt almost two weeks ago.

Now, where the bounced cheques fit in I am not sure; what I am quite sure
about is that there is more to this story than meets the eye. Is this the
first time that Baba Jobe has issued a cheque that bounced? Why arrest him
just NOW. 'Ordinarily' - I mean as things stood as of yesterday and the day
before, Baba Jobe issuing a bounced cheque would not have been an issue. The
man believes he is above the law. That he always broke the law with impunity
is no news. That he owed the state millions of Dalasis was no secrete
either. Famara Jatta is on record as admitting so much. So the big question
is: Why now? Is the house of cards finally falling apart? First the
'private' Imam and now the right hand man, or was he the left one?

Regards,

Kabir.