GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousainou Ngum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 22:23:17 -0700
Dear Brother Joe:

     What else can I say? You have said it all. This is our case, indeed! It
is quite reassuring that people like yourself, Aunty Jabou, Dr Saine and a
host of other sincere people are keeping their eyes on the price we are
bound to pay for affording another 5 years of Jammeh.

     I'm still wondering what Gambians were thinking about when they went
back to the polls to give this dude another shot at the helm. I just can't
get it! Frankly, the most frightening of all, in my opinion, is the looming
economic calamity. I hope it doesn't get as spooky as history has proven
about dependent nations like our small Gambia in such dire circumstances.

      Politically and socially, the status quo is not very promising. I hope
Jammeh sees things this way and realize what lies ahead if his gov't doesn't
change its course. Again, thanks a lot for this brilliant piece. Keep them
coming.

Ous Ngum
Columbus, OH

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001 18:55:46 +0000, The Gambia and related-issues mailing
list wrote:

>  Like many in the opposition camp I have been pondering the last couple of
>  days about the outcome of the recent presidential elections and what it
>  means for the Gambia.  Over the years most members of this list have
fought
>  vehemently against the misrule of Yaya and the APRC.  Most of the
>  allegations we leveled against Yahya are factual and the record is there
for
>  anyone to see.  Where there extra judiciary and summary assassinations
and
>  arrests during his seven year tenure?  Yes indeed!  Did he order the
mowing
>  down of the students and Mr. Barrow?  In broad daylight!  Is he looting
our
>  treasury (what's left of it)?  You do not have to go far, just back track
>  a day before the 1994 Coup and take a snap shot of his finances and see
the
>  kleptocrat he has metamorphosed into.  Has he threatened his fellow
citizens
>  with death?  The tapes are available for those interested in verifying
(on
>  radio, television, and live and direct).  Have our poor farmers got cash
for
>  their crops for three years and running?  The papers reported extensively
on
>  this slow strangulation of the hardest working of our lot.  Has poverty
>  increased among our lot and is unemployment of our people increasing at a
>  rocket pace?  Just stroll about the streets in the urban centers.  Is
>  inflation suffocating our hue?  Just look at our Dalasi, as I write, its
>  hovering around D17 to $1 and climbing.  How is our health?  His family
does
>  not even trust "his medical system" to cure their headache.  How are we
>  doing with Tourism?  Well just ask those that rely on tourism the last
time
>  they were in business. Is there freedom of the press?  Well, ask the
>  independent press about the harassment, arson, and thugry that they
>  underwent with this regime.  This list can stretch the entire length of
our
>  river and then some.
>
>  In sum, was Yaya’s seven year terror a raw deal for Gambians?
Absolutely!
>  How come then, some may ask, did the majority of the very people who
>  suffered under his wrath vote him in for another five-year term?  That is
>  question that can only be answered by the 52% of the voters that voted
for
>  him.  As a citizen who did not cast my vote and a believer of an
>  individual's unconditional right to suffrage, I would not attempt to
>  question the sanity of the majority who voted for him, even with their
>  acknowledgement of the above listed catalogue of criminal activity.
Doing