GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebou Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2006 23:39:52 -0400
*From*: [log in to unmask]
*Sent*: 07 May 2006 15:07
*To*: [log in to unmask]
*Subject*: In defence of Fatou Jaw Manneh

Pa Nderry Mbye, I read with incredulity the article by the so-called "Alhaji
Bah" on Fatou Jaw Manneh. Before commenting on the substance of the spurious
and highly malicious article coated in a black paint of blatant lies,
innuendos and half-truths, I want to remind Mr Mbye that he cannot allow
just anybody to write anything about anybody in the name of so-called
freedom of _expression. In law or customary practice, there are no absolute
freedoms; all freedoms come with responsibilities. If Mr Mbye continues to
make his paper a 'Chappa Yasin' where anybody can write anything about
anybody with impunity, it will not only lose credibility but could be sued.
There is no law of journalism sanction the blanket freedom of 'anything
goes'. I'm sure Mr Mbye that you were not taught this by DA Jawo, Sheriff
Bojang, Deyda Hydara and those people who taught you journalism.

Now to talk about the substance of the story, I have a long relationship
with Gambian journalists and on reading the comments by the so-called
Alhagie Bah and others, I immediately realise that the issue is an
undercurrent of the intense rivalry, pettiness and idiocy that is killing
them. Unknown to other people, Gambian journalists are a bunch of
snivelling, lying low breeds who are pettier than quarrelling women of
Serekunda's Sandaga Market. Of course there are few exceptions like DA Jawo
and Ndey Tafa Sosseh and a couple of others but the majority are just plain
foolish and backward.

I think I know the people behind this new campaign against Fatou Manneh.
They are part of the snivelling, lying and lowly unholy alliance of Ebrima
'So-Called' Dr Ceesay, Yoro Jallow, Ebrima Sankareh and company. For so many
years, Sankareh has being peddling these same lies about Ms Manneh among the
membership of STGDP. I do not know what beef he had against Manneh against
that I know he wanted to date her in the late autumn of 2000 but was afraid
to talk to her himself and used an interlocutor but was turned down by
Manneh. I have enough material on the wily dealing of Gambian journalists to
write a bestseller. What I know is that Ms Manneh is a self-respecting
woman, a mother of two fine young sons in The Gambia.

I know how Fatou Manneh became a journalist and it was not through the back
door because Best, the founder of Observer once told me at a dinner at
Wheel's restaurant. Fatou Manneh as well as DA Jawo were recruited to the
Observer because of their prolific letter-writing. What is 'back door' about
that? What does Ebrima Ceesay know about that when he was then a
beer-guzzling freelance journalist with Justice Fofana? Go check your facts.

What did Ms Manneh have to do with Sankanu's so-called 'Ala da fix' saga?
Sankanu wrote an emotive, provocative article ridiculing our town. We are a
proud people and would not allow some insignificant, secondary school pupil
who wanted cheap fame to tarnish our image. We learnt about Sankanu's
article from his loud mouth bragging even before Jaw confirmed to us. How
did that threatened his career? He went on to write lies about people under
the false name of 'Wagadu Gana Remi' and in the end ended up being Yahya
Jammeh's griot on GRTS before faking a crisis and ending up seeking asylum
in Europe.

How can you blame Fatou Jaw for the career problems of Ebrima Jaw Manneh at
the Daily Observer? What does Saja Taal's circus have to do with Fatou Jaw
Manneh?

What do you know about Fatou Jaw Manneh? I know her and she is the opposite
of the serial 'manniser' you tried to make her? She is a decent woman, proud
of herself and her lineage and struggling hard to make the best of her life.

Give us a break. I've decided to be civil in this posting for obvious
reasons. Watch this space.

Pa Njaga
Malmo, Sweden

Pa Njaga