GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 00:20:41 +0000
Yero Mama,

Don't worry about whether some of them talkback or not. Fact of the matter
is that, while some have recovered fully from their shock defeat, others are
still dazed. They are however hearing us loud and clear.

The next few weeks will be very important as we see whether the same
negativity is going to take centre stage on the L it will be replaced by
reason and possitive engagement. I am going back to Gambia this weekend, God
willing, and will be posting more possitive things as they happen. Others
may wallow in negativity if they so desire.

When the APRC builds more schools, I'll report it and let them report that
the schools have no furniture. When they furnish them, I will report it and
they will report that the schools have no teachers or books. When the
schools have teachers and books, I'll report it and let them will report
that the teachers are unqualified or the books are second hand. Remeber the
collapsing Arch has not collapsed yet and and the farmers whose produce have
not been bought for three years in a row can still farm, produce and
repeatedly trust the government with their produce. In other words while
they are looking for news to depress themselves and others, we will endevour
to report the other possitive things also happening; but unlike them we will
admit our mistakes when they occur. Aren't you wondering why for the past
few days they are not posting reports from the Gambian papers but intead
rely on other media outlets? May be life is too normal in Banjul to report.

Imagine the poor farmers in Gambia who have not sold any of their produce
for three years in a row still voting for the president in their hundreds of
thousands. Those hungry farmers struggling to eat two square meals a day or
don't see a D50.00 note for two months still deciding to vote for Yahya.

I am still trying to figure out why gambians, who are so disillusioned with
Jammeh's administration, find their solace in the NRP and not the merged
UDP/PPP. Why is it that Gambians who would not vote for Yahya decided to
vote for Hamat Bah instead. Could be that he has an agenda that the people
are interested in or he has a better and more effective strategy? It makes
you wonder what his supporters find appealing about his politics to enable
him gain votes from both the APRC and the merged UDP/PPP. Imagine this guy,
who has the least resources, manages to do so well where others have
apparently failed to make much improvement. In my honest opinion the biggest
winner in this election after the Gambian voter is Hamat Bah, and I extend
my congratulations to him and his party too.

Yero  Mama, am getting real homesick. I don't know anyone, but I am looking
forward to going back home; I have had enough of this miserable British
weather.

Have a good day, Gassa.