GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 08:34:05 PST
Ous Bojang,

Great to hear from you; but I would like to know whether, in reality, you
and Karamba Touray were keeping fast during the Ramadan, given the fact that
your surnames are Bojang and Touray respectively.

And you know it is an open secret that the Bojangs, the Tourays, the
Drammehs, the Johs, and the Camaras are obsessed with food (laugh).

Dr Saine: Thanks for the good job you are doing, and may God continue to
give all of us - on the L and outside the L - long life, strength, good
health, vigour and happiness, so that all of us - collectively - can help
build a better Africa.

Omar Drammeh: Long time no hear!! Anyway, I always enjoy reading your soccer
articles, and hope you would give us more. I'll answer your question later
on. Meanwhile, let me also join you and Solomon in welcoming Joe Samboe on
board.

Certainly, Joe was also a talent in soccer, and I can bet that if he was
playing in today's game, with those rare skills he possessed in those days,
he would be very highly priced/valued.

By the way, for those of you who follow boxing, be informed that Mike
Tyson's first fight in England with former British heavyweight champion,
Julius Francis, could be called off after Immigration officials here
revealed that Tyson would be turned back, upon his arrival at the airport,
because of his criminal convictions.

Tyson is scheduled to fight Francis in Manchester on 29 January, but the UK
Home Office announced that Immigration rules ban entry to anyone with
serious convictions, and therefore made it abundantly clear that "Tyson
faces being refused entry to the UK."

This is because, according to them, Tyson was jailed for six years for rape
in the US in 1992. The UK Home Office is insisting that under the rules,
anyone convicted in England, or abroad, for an offence which would carry a
12 month jail term in Britain, would not be allowed into the UK.

As an American passport holder, Tyson will not have needed a visa, or even a
work permit, if he had not had a conviction. This morning though I heard an
Immigration lawyer being interviewed on Radio 5 Live, and she argued that in
spite of the conviction, Tyson could be allowed entry on "compassionate
grounds", according to the same law which bans him entry.

Anyway, I am quite certain that all the world's cameras would go to Heathrow
airport, on Sunday, to see whether the duty immigration officer will allow
Tyson entry or not. Meanwhile, it was reported this morning that the tickets
for the fight have been sold out a long time ago.

Ebrima Ceesay,
Birmingham, UK.