GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 17:27:23 +0000
Mr. Bojang, thanks for your response but I think we are splitting hairs
here.  You said, "I think the president have the right to hire/fire any
misiters he thinks fits him. He does not have to explain if it is his
personal reason..."

We are on the same page, for Yaya has never explained his firings anywhere.
As a public servant, you have to explain ALL hirings and firings, the reason
he announces his hirings.  If you say he does not have to explain when it is
personal, then in essence you are saying it is his business.  And I am
saying to you that cannot be.  If he does that with his Tailor yes it is his
business.  However, if he is hiring or firing someone paid by our taxed
dalasi, to handle our affairs, then it is no longer his personal business.
Thus, the reason why I said that you are giving him powers that he does not
have and should not have.  By hiring these people he in essence told all
Gambians that the person is qualified and it is announced and a ceremony is
performed.  If he fires them for any reason, he has to tell the nation why.
What's going on in Gambia is very abnormal.  Folks are fired with no
explanation given and the fired keep quiet forever after.  Very abnormal.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou