GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 22:35:12 EST
Ebrima,

Actually, this "Dr Mark" is on the faculty at Austin Peay State University in
Clarkesville, Tennessee, just about 30 minutes from Nashville. I met him once
at the airport in Gambia, in 1997 on his way back to the U.S. He had
apparently just left Gambia a couple of weeks before I met him there. This
was according to a friend of mine, Dr Mary Mbosowo, who was on the faculty
here at TSU. Mary was the one who initiated the study abroad program to the
Gambia, and Mark and others then joined her in taking students. She was
surprised that Mark was back in Gambia only days after they all left there
that summer when I told her about meeting him.
I remember he came over to a table I was sitting at having refreshments after
checking in at the airport. He introduced himself, and we talked for quite a
while. He told me at the time that he wanted to be given the contract to set
up the Gambia University, but that he did not get much cooperation from the
people  in charge of this. He also spoke about several business ideas that
would work well in Gambia, but at the time, i thought he was saying these
things because he found out I was interested in business. He never once
mentioned that he had any shares in any business in Gambia.  I have since
seen him at a  distance, at a
couple of functions at TSU, but never spoke to him. Mary Mbosowo is no longer
here, having transferred to Oklahoma State.
Tell your sources that there is no group out here in Nashville stopping
anyone from criticizing the Jammeh regime. if they think they are, then it
must be a figment of their imagination.

Jabou Joh

In a message dated 1/4/01 10:06:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,