GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saihou Mballow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2001 12:56:59 -0700
 Gambia is highlighting the tendency in in a number of
African countries where soldiers who seized power
through coups to reinvent themselves as democratic
leaders.Let's have a look at some of west African
atates as example -Niger,Togo,Burkina Faso,Guinea and
Ivory Coast.These military leaders like Jammeh
remained in power in part by manipulating elections or
by forcing the opposition to withdraw their
challenge.Yahya a former Lft.,has cultivated a
constituent base of support from the security forces
that has allowed him to from a coup leader to a so
call winner of a multiparty elections all while
steering the country through a difficult period of
economic hardship.The degree of which both economic
and political insttitutions had deteriorated from the
time of Jammeh's July 22nd coup.Over the last 6/7
years ,however,disastrous import tarifs,sagging import
revenues,rampant corruption,and statism laid wast to
the economic.
  The 2001 elections are fast approaching.Since the
1996 presidential elections, no changes had been made
in the electoral process/administration demonstrating
that the electoral commission members are not secured
from illegal termination of their services.Meaning
they are open to intimidation by the government and
still yet no steps have been taken to guarantee their
security in their jobs.The opposition have learned
enough lessons from the 1996/97 elections to enables
us to call for a number of important and effective
changes in the electoral administration.what is more
important today is to bring Jammeh to his knees by
forcing him to talk with the opposition about tangible
mechanism of having a free and fair elections that
would convince the opposition that the forth coming
elections will be free from manipulation.
 As we are talking today,there is No tentitive steps
created to assure the opposition or gambian people
that there would be a transparent electoral
process;the electioral process would be free from
intimidation and harassment;that there would be no
restrictions of political freedoms;that there would be
an equal axcess to the public media;that the ex-22nd
july leaders who are today the assistant commissioners
would be replace by competent civil servants;that the
daily sacking of inocent civil servants,arresting of
opinion leaders,the frequent sacking of
judges,magistrates,teachers,nurses,doctors and village
heads would stop.If the above mentioned issues are not
taken care of,we would be wasting our time and
supporting Jammeh's legitimacy for the second term in
office.why should the opposition accept going for
elections just for the seek of going for elections
while the ingredients of elections are
lacking.Please,we should not allow ourselves to be
confuse by these corrupt and selfish elements who are
aiding and abiting individuals who are waiting for a
trial of crime against humanity.
 If we want our be love country to be free from this
drama,we must call for an electoral system reliable
enough to banish controversies about voter fraud there
by allowing energy to be rechanneled toward the
building of an effective programme of democratization.
 On the alledged UDP inconsistencies,i must tell you
that we are respondinding according to how the game is
been play.
 Today UDP have about 20 cases in the courts
pending.They are ranging from human rights
violations,illegal arrests,illegal sacking,denial of
permit etc.These cases are in every Divisional court
from
Banjul,Kanifing,Brikama,Kerewan,Mansakonko,Janjanbure
and Basse.This is just to tell how the party is
engaged.
Saihou

=== message truncated ===