GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 06:16:26 -0500
Sanusi,

Thanks, I'm getting much better.

You wrote:

"The National Assembly should pass a Act entitled; Civil and Public Service
Act of the Gambia. This Act should stipulate the circumstances upon which
an individual could be sacked. The Act should make provision for situations
where Disciplinary Action should be taken and the penalties to be imposed.
Under this area, Civil servants should be given the right to challenge any
action of unfairness; the setting up of a Civil and Public Servants
Disciplinary Board.

Finally, this Act should reinforce the principle that Civil Servants should
be politically impartial and that their tenure of service should be
secured."

Sanusi,

I do not think that the President is intervening in the civil service or
Departments of State for lack of clear-cut guidelines as to how issues of
incompetence or otherwise can be dealt with. Remember we have the PMO, PSC,
the Police etc,. The giudelines are there and are as clear today as anytime
before. What I think is the problem is the fact that some would rather die
than discipline their subordinates. Please read again what the president
had to say about the asserting one's authority and being responsible for
your people.

SOME EXTRACTS

"Declaring that, “it is not a pleasure for me to preside over a swearing
out ceremony, but that is a responsibility I will gladly carry out to make
sure that cabinet ministers perform.”
.
.
.
”In as much as I hate swearing out ceremonies, I would not hesitate to
preside over them, because that is my responsibility. We must all make it a
point of duty to work for our country. Nobody is working for me.”
.
.
.
"If all of you have to wait for me to intervene in your areas, because you
think that it would carry more weight, then if you are weightless, you
better leave before I show you a red card.

If you do not want to be blamed for what you are responsible for, the most
honourable thing to do is to resign. What is unacceptable is that you are
capable of solving the problem, and you know the problem, but you do not
want to do it simply because you are working for Yahya Jammeh – there will
be no compromise this time. We are in a new millennium.”
.
.
.
"If you can control people under you, you make the running of the civil
service very smooth. But where you do not want to assert your authority and
be responsible for the people under you to work, this is where the problem
in the running of the civil service is. Nobody wants to take responsibility
to maintain discipline in your respective areas.”

He also DECRIED THE TENDENCY TO GIVE THE IMPRESSION that the president is
ONLY TOO HAPPY TO FIRE PEOPLE, by telling people that it was NOT their
responsibility, that they were NOT EVEN INFORMED about it. “We have come to
the crossroads. EITHER YOU TAKE CARE OF WHAT YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR, OR WE
WILL TAKE CARE OF IT FOR YOU, INCLUDING YOURSELF. “I am sick and tired of
MASLAHA with anybody, and I have zero tolerance for that anymore."

(Emphasis, mine).

Have a good day, Gassa.

--
There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see,
yet small enough to solve (Mike Leavitt)