GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
MUSA PEMBO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 16:27:31 +0200
The Concept of Islamic Solidarity In dealing with Natural Disasters and/or Man-made Disasters.

First of all, we are to keep in mind the fact that helping and supporting victims of disasters is a part of humanitarian feelings and an indication of having sound faith. A Muslim should never hesitate to give a helping hand and support people who need help.

In times of crises, all people and organizations must cooperate to help alleviate the pain and suffering of the victims. All individuals, organizations, and governments should hasten to help and aid the victims by all possible means. Religious organizations should precede others in collecting funds for the victims and in encouraging people to donate to relief organizations.

In discussing this issue, Dr. Muhammad Abu Laylah, professor of Islamic Studies & Comparative Religions at Al-Azhar Univ. states:

Muslims should be actively present at any time of hardship or catastrophe regardless of the victims' religion or race. Islam urges Muslims to support any charitable or humanitarian help and encourages Muslims to alleviate the sufferings of people and to stand shoulder to shoulder with people in helping them with all that concerns them in order to aid those who are sufferers. All people are brothers and sisters in humanity, and therefore they should support each other and respond to any call for help.

Islam's mission is for the welfare and well-being of all people. So, let's be united with a firm intention to alleviate pain and suffering throughout the world. We should pray to Allah to remove these misfortunes and catastrophes that affect not only American people but all people around the world.

The Glorious Qur'an tells us that all humanity goes back to one and the same origin. As Muslims we should do our very best to help the victims of this hurricane and also the victims of any kind of disaster whether it is a natural disaster or man-made.

Moreover, Sheikh `Abdul-Majeed Subh, a prominent Azharite scholar, adds:

Solidarity, as far as Islam is concerned, is a noble human characteristic. People should give a helping hand to anyone who is in need of help whether he is a Muslim or a non-Muslim; an Arab or a non-Arab.

I will mention here the example of Thumamah ibn Athal. When he converted to Islam he blocked the trade route of the Quraish to Iraq while Quraish was in a public state of war with the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him). Abu Sufyan, the leader of Quraish, sent a message to the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), saying, "I beg you by Allah and our kinship not to block our trade route to Iraq ." Immediately the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) sent a message to Thumamah asking him to allow them to pass freely. This was done despite the fact that they were in a public state of war with the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). This is a humane characteristic, and will help in propagating the cause of Islam and its morals and correct image.

When a Muslim does so with the intention to help his/her brothers and sisters in humanity, with the intention to call for the introduction of the morals and ethics of Islam, one will be rewarded twice, in sha' Allah.

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい